Hydraulic Jack Question

bandalop

Does keeping the jacks down for extended periods of time reduce the life of the hydraulic jacks? Does a constant motorhome load on the jacks increase the chance of seal failure?

H2H1

I have heard that some do keep them down, but I don't. The reason: I don't want to get the hydraulic jacks shafts dirty and then raise them up and mess up the seals. To me that would create a major problem if they had to be replaced. I do place 2X12 treated lumber under each tire to keep it level and off the concrete . I do this during the winter months when it is not in use.

C Nash

If I am parked I have my jacks down to relieve some of the pressure on tires and springs. If extended stays "not often" I will spray the shaft with silcone spray ocasionaly and wipe off. Common sense will tell me that with pressure on them it would tend to work on hose and seals. I just don't like the weight on the tires and spring all the time. JMO

H2H1

Nash that is what I do, I will let them down to suppoprt the MH when we are out. but never for any long lenght of time. I spray mine with white lighting silcome grease. I think that is what it is called, but like you I clean them so they do not pick up and dirt and score the shaft.

H2H1

BTW I will start doing the summer maintenance when it warms up, I have the oil & filter and the grease gun is hanging on the wall and ready to be used.I still need to get me a filter for the genset. I will have to go to NAPA for that. these last few warm days has me on edge to get the old girl out on the road. Hey that old girl is not MARIA it t he MH.... lol

bandalop

My question had to do with when I was traveling and staying at a campground for a month or so at a time. At home, for the winter storage time, the motorhome is in a garage and sitting on jack stands taking some of the weight off the tires and suspension. I do not leave the MH on the hydraulic jacks during the storage period, Also as H2H1 has said, the tires are sitting on i" lumber off the concrete.

C Nash

Well I am sitting in the cg now with leveling jacks down. IMO that's what they are for to level the MH while camping and help with the rocking. 2002 model and no problems yet "knock on wood"

H2H1

bandalop that is what we said, when camping we use the jacks to level and stabilize it, Storage is another thing.

C Nash

If in storage for a long period you are doing the right thing by using the jack stands IMO bandlop.

H2H1

wished I had a set of good jacks stands to to put mine off the ground. But then I would need a jack to lift it up

H2H1

Nash I was thinking that would be to much weight for the jacks. But I will try that and see what happen.

H2H1

OK Nash you and I have about the same type MH. WHAT tonage of a jack stand do you reccomend 3-6 ton? I found some at Harbor Frieght.

Triple E

I used to keep my jack down with the weight off of the tires during the winter storage, 4 to 6 months. Never had a problem. Then one spring on my first camping trip I blew a seal. So I assume it could of been caused from keeping weight on the jacks for such a long time or it could be that the seal was 12 years old, go figure. The seal that blew was internal to one jack. FYI, Cheaper to buy a rebuilt jack then to have your jack rebuilt.

Hollis I added 20% to the total weight of my motor home. Divided the total by 4 then divided that number by 2. Which, for me, just comes under 4 tons. Not sure if this is the correct way or not but seems to be working.

C Nash

Hollis 4 0f the 3 ton would work fine on mine but overkill will not hurt. See the gross weight of your MH then do like Triple said. Doubt that you are near or over of your gross weight. think my weight is around 22000. Yours will be more.

bandalop

I use 5 ton jack stands purchased from Harbor freight. It's a little extra trouble to use the jack stands but I think it saves on the huydraulic jacks. One thing that worries me in the back of my mind, what if for some reason, fire or ? I needed to move the MH in a hurry? I could be in big trouble then. Just drive off the jack stands and face whatever repairs that might occur? That's kinda scary!

H2H1

hey bandalop how are you going to drive off the jack stands if the tires are off the ground. Just asking not being a smart a**., all though most of the time I am. LOL

C Nash

Well I know my jacks will lift the MH off the ground so I could lift it off with the jacks and remove the stands. If the building was on fire I would not take the time to do this. I would just get out of the way and let my insurance company worry about it.

Triple E

C Nash;76287 said:
Well I know my jacks will lift the MH off the ground so I could lift it off with the jacks and remove the stands. If the building was on fire I would not take the time to do this. I would just get out of the way and let my insurance company worry about it.

Good reply Nash, I wonder how much I could get for mine. :confused: :excitement: