Installing a ladder

jf.phrogg

Hi everybody-

I recently purchased a 2008 Winnebago Chalet and I want to install a ladder, and probably a roof rack later. I am worried about damaging the body of the rig; primarily about drilling holes into something that needs to remain as leak-proof as possible. Is this something I could do myself? Or do I need to take it to a professional? Can it be done without drilling holes all the way through the walls? How hard a job is it? Will I need any special tools?

Any thoughts or advice you all have would be great. Thanks-

John

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Installing a ladder

If your MH has a fiberglass rear cap, you need to make sure you have "backers" to screw into. Screws do not go all the way thru the wall so they can be seen in the inside. If you dont know what your doing for sure, take it somewhere.

Welcome to the Forum

jf.phrogg

Grandview Trailer Sa - 1/20/2010 7:22 PM

If your MH has a fiberglass rear cap, you need to make sure you have "backers" to screw into. Screws do not go all the way thru the wall so they can be seen in the inside. If you dont know what your doing for sure, take it somewhere.

Welcome to the Forum

It does not have a cap, but the roof piece curves down over the top side of the back. How do I determine if I have "backers"? Or is that another piece of gear that I need to buy?

If I do end up taking it in to a shop, what do you think is a reasonable price to expect to pay?

Thanks for the help. this is an awesome forum site!!

John

Grandview Trailer Sa

Sorry, did not see this earlier.

You would have to remove the cap or the interior just to see IF you have backers....I expect you do, most companies put them in anyway, but the problem is you don't know where they are. The ladder should sell for under $150.00. Usually the ladder option is $125.00 or so, BUT finding out IF and WHERE the backers are will be time consuming and no way I could guess here at the price.