INSURANCE

lukyduky

I have a 23 ft travel trailer and am paying $320.00 per year for insurance. I recently read somewhere that it was not necessary to have full coverage on the camper as my auto insurance would cover the camper if if was demolished in an accident while attached to my truck and that my homeowners insurance would cover it if a tree fell on it in my yard. Does anyone know FOR SURE what the story is. I doubt that my insurance company would be truthful with me as I have read so much bad stuff about them lately. It seems that everytime I hear from them, it is only to let me know what else they WON'T cover.

ARCHER

INSURANCE

If you can't trust your insurance company, you've got the wrong company. If you can't ask them a question, you've got the wrong company. If you can't read your written policy that should tell you what is and what isn't covered, etc., you need help.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound so negative, but come on now, you pay the premiums so you should be getting the service from your company........stand up for your rights as a policy holder and find out from them. If they don't cover it, change companies.
My auto policy covers my tow dolly and auto while being towed. I have a separate policy for the motorhome, but it is a Class A not a trailer.
Good luck

C Nash

INSURANCE

lukyduky,
Agree with Archer, I would look at another insurance company. Sounds mighty high to me. I know your tow vehicle insurance will cover any damage to other properties caused by your rv but, it may not cover your rv damage. Your home owners should cover while parked in your yard but, not when camping. My insurance co. just sent me a refund check because they said my MH was covered while parked at home. Not a full refund because they said it had to have coverage when in campgrounds.

lukyduky

INSURANCE

Thanks for your input. I probably should have mentioned that I am a
woman doing the inquiring, perhaps a man would have known better. As for reading my auto and homeowners policy, forget it. You would need a legal degree to understand it as there are SO MANY EXCEPTIONS. I have been with the same insurance company for 35 years with many different agents but thankfully have never had a need to make a claim but after reading of other people's experiences on www.screwedbyinsurance.com, it really gives me cause for concern. I insured my travel trailer with one of several companies the dealer recommended. Perhaps they insure everything as if it were motorized. Anyway, when my insurance premiums come due again, I will hopefully be able to make some wiser decisions. Thanks again.

ARCHER

INSURANCE

Lukyduky,
I know the policies are difficult to read, but read um anyway. I insured my class A with my homeowners insurance company and pay $180.00 per year for full coverage, which I think is fair. I get a discount because all my toys (boats, cars, truck, RV, homeowners) are covered by one company and when I need to ask a question on my policy, I call my agent and tell them I want a face to face explanation on coverage as to what is and what is not covered for a particular item/issue. If you ask and they refuse, change companies.
By the way, I'm glad to see a woman ask questions like this. Congrats to you for asking and document your finds and go from there.
Good luck
:) :laugh: :cool: :approve: ;)

C Nash

INSURANCE

lukyduky,
I don't think the person man or woman that writes thos things even understand them. I live in a small town and do business with local agent. he has always been very helpful in answering all my questions and telling me what I need of course it might help that I generally keep his MH going for him. Other insurances may be cheaper but I will stay with him for these reasons. Ask your insurance co all the same questions you ask here and check with other co when policy is due for renewal.

sp

INSURANCE

Hi,

I had a tree go through my camper and all I had for insurance was my basic auto and homeowners. They wouldn't pay for any damage through my auto because it was just to cover liability if I hit anything with the camper. The homeowners wouldn't cover it because they said what if it was $100,000 motorhome it wouldn't be covered under my regular homeowners. The best they could do was call it a utility trailer and give me $1,500 minus the $500 deductible and up to $500 for removing the tree and fixing up the yard. I raised a stink with the so called "good hands people" and got $1,500 out of the $3,000 I needed to replace it.

There is no real RV insurance for the older ones that I have/had but there is for the newer units. The other guys with newer units would know better than I.

Shop around to 3 or 4 companies look for any glaring differences in coverage and price and then make your decision.

sp :cool:

ARCHER

INSURANCE

Folks,
I have a separate policy for my Class A and it is an older one (1989) and I just got this insurance last year. It covers a "whole lot" including great libility. Doesn't have to be new to get good insurance.
Ya gotta shop for the deals, but read the fine print.

Deric

INSURANCE

Here's my short answer. A couple of months ago I bought a Wilderness 28ft fifth wheel, but before I purchased this I called my insurance company (Farmers) and it turns out in my case the trailer becomes part of my tow vehicle and thus becomes a rider on my policy. The cost? To secure the loan ($10,000) is only about $20.00 for six months. You can't beat that with a stick. I have been with farmers for over 15 years, I have both my vehicles and our house with them, and have never had a complaint with this company. I home this helps. :cool:

Deric Kettel
Forks Washington