Internet access

PokeyPoke

Hi Gang,

I'm purchasing some new laptops for my wife and I -- going with all the latest-greatest bells and whistles and Centrino wi-fi technology...one question remains, however:

I know wi-fi hotspots are cropping up all over, to include in many parks, but what about when one makes an in-between-parks stop (of any length of time, to include extended boondocking)? Does anybody have any advice for internet access in the middle of nowhere? Go with a Satellite system, or...?

PokeyPoke

Internet access

Hi Gang,

Thought I'd post an email conversation a forum reader and I had for your benefit...in addition to the tips I received in this convo', I'd still love to hear what any of you all know about this subject! Here 'tis:

From "Tony": "That (a satellite system) is about the only choice you will have, if you want service out of hot spot areas. satellite internet works well, as long as weather not bad. I know a few good providers, email me if you want names."

I replied: "Thanks for your reply...any names you have would be good to know so I can check them out. Thanks and Happy New Year!"

Tony replied: "Hi PokeyPoke! here is a link:

http://www.wcclp.com/index.php/phpmPage/Services_Satellite+Internet+Service/page/125

"This is also where I bought my satellite phone, I use it when im out of cellular coverage area."

Kirk

Internet access

I am a user of the Starband system via a portable tripod such as surveyers use to mount the dish. These systems are available from several dealers and for both Starband and Directway. The advantage of Starband for a tripod mounted dish is the fact that they allow the owner to take training and be certified as a registered installer and thus allow you to move and set up your own dish, with their acknowledgment and their technical support. With Directway, portables are not accepted as a customer and it is in violation of the user's contract to take down and reset a dish on a portable tripod. The use of an automatic, roof mounted dish is acceptable to either. But the roof mount system costs about $4500 and it will not work if you park in heavy shade or next to a building. The tripod mounts can be moved to point to the satelite as needed, just as a portable dish for TV can be moved by the owner. If you do this using Directway, they could at some future time shut you off as a user with no recourse, since you are in violation of the user agreement. With Starband, if you take the installer course, on line, and get certified to install, there is no such violation of policy and thus you will have no problems of relocating. If you visit the link:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~flicka15/contactus.html
you will be in contact with RV Sat Link a dealer who will sell you the equipment needed and provide the training for Satrband use as a certified installer. He also supplies test equipment that includes a meter that will locate and identify all satelites(37 of them). It will help to locate the proper bird and to make sure your dish is set up to work properly and not conflict with other users, which could mean that the service would shut you off.

There are many dealers out there to sell you equipment and happily take your money, but RV Sat Link will give you the support that you need and train you so that you can get technical support direct from Starband. I strongly reccomend them!

bajadudes

Internet access

Starting this Friday Jan 21st There will be a second authorized dealer selling Starbands Manual Flyer portable system. I will be rolling out the product at the Charlotte RV show along with starband reps. I expect pricing to be very competitive. with at least one mobile package under $1000. Exciting times ahead for tripod users.
I am glad Starband has finally given select dealers the opportunity to legally support this very active grey market.

Kirk

Internet access

BAJADUDES, welcome to the dealer net! There is another soon to be in the mix also as Ray Short is presently working with Ron at RV Sat Link and will be going into the business soon. This is a market that can use more dealers. I'm not sure that I would choose to go with the low end set-up as I really like the frills like the "BirdDog" satlite meter and several other refinements that make everything work better and easier. You may want to share notes with the folks at RV Sat Link as they have been in the business for quite some time, have about 1000 users and have sold both systems, although they now only sell for Starband.

bajadudes

Internet access

Hey Kirk, Thanks for the welcome. I like to offer at least one low end no frills model for campers on a tight budget, You can always option up ;)

I have been selling Starband since day one and have one of the lowest dealer direct ids on record. In my opinion RV-sat link sells for way to much and has only been able to because he had the exclusive. Competition is a good thing and I am glad it's here.

Great days ahead!

Kirk

Internet access

Just wondering if you are doing the tech training and all that RV Sat Link does? They are only slightly higher than is Dusty Foot and several of the Direct Way dishes and they are gray market. From what the Starband folks tell me, the installer training is required if you are to be a recognized dealer and the custome get direct support. At least that is what Starband told me.

Do you have a website?