Introduction...

Rachel

Hello Everyone! :laugh:

I just wanted to let you guys know that my name is Rachel and I'm new to the forum. I work for Passport America so if you have any questions, just let me know! :) I'll be checking in to see what pertinent information I can give. Hope you guys have a great one! :cool:

Rachel

C Nash

Re: Introduction...

Welcome to the forum Rachel. I think Passport is a sponser of RVUSA. My question is why do so many parks offer only one night and I looked up one in ElPaso Tx and they do not honer during the winter months and the temp there was 17 :eek: . If you are traveling I suppose one night is ok but most require reservations and I would never travel on a time skedule.

H2H1

Helo Rachel, like Nash said welcome to the forum. I found the PPA offer a good deal for the site but then charge for the all the accessories that you need ie sewer, water, electricity, so where are the saving if you have to pay all the needed items? Sorry but I can't buying into something I feel is a gimick. SORRY. Rachel please prove me wrong and I will buy a back into PPA. THANKS

Grandview Trailer Sa

I joined a few years ago and all the places I went did not honor it on weekends. I can't camp during the week!!! I did not even get my money back. :(

Rachel

RE: Introduction...

In response to C Nash:

You’re right…there are several parks that offer only a one night’s stay under the Passport America discount. The reason is that each campground is individually owned and operated and makes its own rules about how many nights you can stay under the discount. You are also correct about several parts having “black out” dates which is several months that a park does not honor the Passport America discount. The reason for this is that many of those parks get very busy during certain months (depending on where the park is located) and can get full price out of every site.

There are also some parks that have no time limit on how long you can stay…an example is Oasis RV Park in South Haven, KS.

You are also correct in saying that most campgrounds require reservations, but there are also some that don’t. Again, it just depends on the campground itself.

If there is a question I failed to answer fully or failed to answer at all, please let me know! :)

Rachel

E-mail or private message me your information and I'll be more than happy to check your account and look into it for you. :) I'm sorry about the places you encountered that didn't accept Passport America during the weekend, but we are adding new parks all the time. :laugh: If you would like to check out our rules and regulations, please go to http://www.passport-america.com/members/faq.asp. You can also call me at 1.800.283.7183 or e-mail me at Rachel@passport-america.com and I'll be more than happy to help you!

DL Rupper

Hey Rachel, welcome to the forum. I'm a PA member and use PA Parks when and if I can in my travels. It usually pays for its self fairly fast. I just avoid PA membership parks that put too many restrictions on using it. Lots of times all I need is 1 night passing through.

I went to a RV Park in Naples, FL in December. Their only restriction in the PA Directory stated it wasn't good in the months of Jan, Feb, Mar, however, when I showed up in December they said it was only good for 1 night. This wasn't right because they hadn't spelled out the 1 night restriction in the PA Directory, so I said OK and took my business elsewhere as I wanted to stay about 9 days.

My payback to PA parks that don't play by the rules is a bad review in www.RVparkreviews.com. The Naples, FL Park got a bad review from me. I rated it a 1 in a 1-10 rating system and told everyone why. Now anyone wanting to go there and uses the RVparkreviews as a help in determining good parks will know about their deception. I check RV Parks in the review (if they have been reviewed) before I ever go there.

Anyhow, I use the PA as often as I can and work around the restrictions. Sometimes you can stay at PA prices for 3 nights and combine your discount with the Good Sam Club discount to get reasonable rates for the week.

Rachel

RE: Introduction...

In response to H2H1:

Here are some examples of additional charges from different campgrounds...

Example of where everything is included, except if you have more than four people with you: http://www.lakecorpuschristirvparkandmarina.com/RV_park.html
P.A. site information:
http://www.campsave50percent.com/ca...andia/lake_corpus_christi_rv_park_and_marina/

Example of everything being included except for phone hookup:
Their site: http://www.fairharborrvpark.com/
Our site information:
http://www.campsave50percent.com/campgrounds/united_states/georgia/perry/fair_harbor_rv_park/

Example of everything being included except for tax and additional people:
http://www.campsave50percent.com/ca...lorida/white_springs/lees_country_campground/

I hope that this will help give you a better idea of how certain additional charges are handled at individual parks. Again, the rates and additional charges for additional services/amenities and/or people are determined by each individual participating park owner or manager, and it should be a standard charge that anyone – including full paying customers, should have to pay. Passport America members should notify us if there has been an additional fee charged to them that seems questionable in any way whatsoever (you can check our rules online http://www.passport-america.com/members/faq.asp). In addition, Passport America members should contact us if they have any questions or comments about their account, our services, and/or affiliated parks. We are always very happy to help!

You are always welcome to contact me or any other representative directly online or on our toll free number (800) 283-7183. Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8AM until 6PM Central Time, and Saturday from 8AM until 4PM. Again, we are always very happy to help!

Rachel

H2H1

Rachel thanks you for your reply's. I see you have been busy today answering a lot questions and seem truly honest about your company. I will look into it again, but may promise that I will buy into it again. but thanks for your responses and honesty.

hertig

I've never had any problems finding a PA park which suits, in the SouthWest at least. The NorthEast is a bit more crowded and there are fewer parks, further from the interstates, and with more restrictions. I haven't had any trouble getting much more than my money's worth

Rachel

In response to DL Rupper:

I'm very happy to hear that the Passport America membership works for you and that you are able to take advantage of the savings! :laugh: If you ever have any trouble with a particular park in any way, shape, or form please don't hesitate to give me or one of the other representatives at 1.800.283.7183. We are always very happy to help you! :)

Rachel

Rachel

H2H1 - 1/17/2008 6:54 PM

Rachel thanks you for your reply's. I see you have been busy today answering a lot questions and seem truly honest about your company. I will look into it again, but may promise that I will buy into it again. but thanks for your responses and honesty.

You're very welcome H2H1! If you want, you can check out this link http://www.passport-america.com/campgrounds/participating.asp to look at all of our affiliate parks. We update our site every week, so it is very up-to-date. :) Let me know if I can help you with anything else! :cool:

Rachel

Rachel

hertig - 1/18/2008 1:32 AM

I've never had any problems finding a PA park which suits, in the SouthWest at least. The NorthEast is a bit more crowded and there are fewer parks, further from the interstates, and with more restrictions. I haven't had any trouble getting much more than my money's worth

Hi Hertig!

I'm very happy to hear that the Passport America membership works for you as well! :laugh: Yes, there are some parks (but not all) in those areas that have more restrictions and are less convenient to get to, but just remember, we are adding parks every week! Like I said before, our website is also updated every week. You can check out that was given in the previous reply at http://www.passport-america.com/campgrounds/participating.asp to check for any new park additions :)

Rachel

H2H1

Hi Rachel it me Hollis (H2H1) I looked in your participating CG sites in Georgia. I have stayed in at least 2 maybe 3 I can't remember all the sites we have stayed in but, what is odd is none of them and none asked if I was a member. of PAA. The ones that I do remember staying was Stone Mountain the other was in Perry GA. However I was asked if I was A KOA member, which I am. But to be fair after reading DL & Hertig reply I will give PAA one more try.

Rachel

H2H1 - 1/18/2008 2:06 PM

Hi Rachel it me Hollis (H2H1) I looked in your participating CG sites in Georgia. I have stayed in at least 2 maybe 3 I can't remember all the sites we have stayed in but, what is odd is none of them and none asked if I was a member. of PAA. The ones that I do remember staying was Stone Mountain the other was in Perry GA. However I was asked if I was A KOA member, which I am. But to be fair after reading DL & Hertig reply I will give PAA one more try.

Hi Mr. Hollis :)

You will find that many parks won't necessarily ask if you're a Passport America member. What we normally tell members to do is to tell the campground/park that they are Passport America members ahead of time when reservations are made. I'm glad you have decided to rejoin Passport America! :laugh: You can contact me by phone at 1.800.283.7183 or by e-mail at Rachel@passport-america.com. I hope you find that it is of more use to you now and I'll be more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Have a wonderful evening!

Rachel

H2H1

Pease leave the Mr. off my name is simply Hollis. The Mr.,(my dad) has passed on and is in haven rving and having the time of his life.

Rachel

H2H1 - 1/18/2008 3:30 PM

Pease leave the Mr. off my name is simply Hollis. The Mr.,(my dad) has passed on and is in haven rving and having the time of his life.

My apologies, Hollis. :blush:

Rachel

hertig

Hollis, as with everything, you will get the best results if you do your part.

What I do is decide where I want to go and enter the info into Microsoft Streets and Trips to get a route. It is set up to indicate where it suggests I spend the night (based on desired start time, end time, speed and breaks). Then I look for PA sites in the area. within a mile or so of the route and within an hour of the suggested layover. Sometimes there isn't a PA site which is located within that zone; often there is at least one (in the southwest at least).

If multiple ones, I look at price and amenities; here is also where you can verify any restrictions. If none, but one before or after the zone, I see if my plans can be moved (leave earlier or later in the morning, drive a different speed, use a different PA site the night before or after). Sometimes there will be one on an acceptable alternate route (once there was none along the interstates going by a city north and then turning southward, but there was a nice one SE of the city on state highways, about the same distance. If there is just not one which works, then I use a non-PA site. Between Tucson and Central Illinois, it is rare to use more than 1 non-PA site. Between central Illinois and Boston, I think it was about 50/50. Not that there are not sites there, it is just that they tend to be further from the interstates and/or have more stringent restrictions.

Once I have the route mapped out and the parks decided on, I call for verification and reservations. Some places like them and some won't accept them from PA members (they don't want to turn away any full pricers). If I can't get a reservation, I make sure I have a backup site nearby or other plan. Obviously, a place with 7 sites is more of a risk than one with 70.

I tend to 'travel', so generally 1 night per place is plenty. On only 2 occasions did I spend more than 1 night at a PA park and neither one gave me any problem with staying 2 or 3 nights.

Keep in mind that if you can use 5 PA nights in a year, you are likely making out like a bandit (2 or 3 and you may be breaking even).

G

to much reading for me ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

C Nash

My problem is I never know which way I will be going the next time I crank up. Thats the beauty of rving :)