Is Dealer advice, sound advice?

John E.

Hello. I'm a healthcare provider and I'm wanting to work some travel positions across the country and want to do full-time RV living. The dealer was obviously concerned about extreme cold and extreme heat and tried to give me some good advice. Having said that, he really pushed the Montana High Country (MHC) citing that the MHC was the only real RV designed for full-time living, has a life-time warranty, and built for extreme weather. One thing he pointed out was the spacing of the framing and the way the inside wall is insulated. He alluded to bubbling walls, heat loss, zero degree freezing rating, etc. He says he has no stake in any one RV and would sell anyone any RV they were looking for and for what purpose it is trying to serve. The problem is, he was pushing the MHC so much, it has my girlfriend (and to some extent me) spooked about shopping around for other RV's. We're concerned that in our search for a well-valued RV that will cost less (maybe used), we'll be spending more on repairs later on, so we may as well suck up the $50,000 price so we don't have to worry about potential problems. So what do you guys think? Are there other brands of RV's that can hold up to full-time living and the extreme swings of weather for half the price? Can I buy a used RV or is NEW the only way to go when living in it full-time? Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. Your input is greatly appreciated it.
John

C Nash

John there are more rvs out there that will serve for all season. Most all major brands have a high entry level. yes you can find used ones you just have to research. All depends on the heat, cold extremes you will be in. Really cold you will need some type under pinning.

packnrat

just look at whats on his lot.
that is the only brand he will push.
most or the other brands have the same levels of junk and qualty.
yes some brands only sell cheap junk ment for the weekenders.
some brands only sell top end unit$.
search the web to see if a video of the manf plant, that will say so much as to worth it or not.
watch out for the " buble wrap" called insulation, it is not.
and most so called all season rvs lack in the deep cold. high heat.
i did see a video of one bus coach. coated in ice, but was a good 65F inside. so buyer beware. and remember the sales man only makes money if you buy something.
go to many lots. look at the differnt brands. research options for each.
got slides? check out with them in. can you still live in that? move around?
slides add some room. but are very poorly insulated. if at all.