IS IT TRUE????

LOST

I HAVE A 33FT CLASS A--SINCE IT'S PURCHASE I HAVE HAD NIGHTMARE AFTER NIGHTMARE TO DEAL WITH--HERE'S THE QUESTION

IS IT A COMMON PRACTICE TO DRIVE YOUR MH AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH TO KEEP IT IN GOOD RUNNING ORDER---BUT......... WHAT IF ONE IS EXTENDED CAMPING-DO YOU HAVE TO BREAK CAMP DRIVE AROUND THE BLOCK AND COME BACK SET UP AGAIN.....THE REASON I ASK IS THIS--I HAD MUCHO $$$$$$$$ REPAIRS DONE TO MY MH---IT HAS SAT SINCE MARCH-I GO START IT REGULARLY AND RUN GENERATOR---MY SERVICE PERSON SAID I SHOULD DRIVE IT AT LEAST AROUND THE BLOCK ONCE A MONTH!!!
IS THIS TRUE? THANKS!

C Nash

IS IT TRUE????

J.T. What kind of problems have you had? Yes, you should drive it around as often as possible to keep the lube in the upper parts of the motor. Also helps to keep moisture out of the engine. Same with the transmission and rear axle. Will also keep rotors, drums and brakes free. Keep the fuel tank full so as to cut down on condensation in the tank. Also need to add a fuel stablizer if sitting for a period of time. Generator needs to be craked and run with a load for about 30 min.

hertig

IS IT TRUE????

Chelse's suggestions are right on. FWIW, diesel vehicles are claimed to be more sensitive to sitting than gas vehicles. But any vehicle sitting will likely develop problems with things 'setting up or drying out'.

I'm not sure if 'around the block' would be enough to eliminate sitting problems, but it might help. The dealer recommends I put at least one 100 mile trip on the diesel pusher at a minimum of every other month or so.

If I was parked somewhere for a long time, I don't know for sure what I'd do. At the very least, I'd monthly start the engine and run it until it reaches operating temperature for a while, and run the generator under load for at least a half hour. I'd probably retract and extend the slides and leveling mechanism, and cycle the air brakes. If possible, I might even pull forward a few feet, go backwards a few feet and back forward, stopping at a slightly different point on the tires. Even with this, I'd be real nervous staying in one place for more than 3 months without a real trip (perhaps 20 miles in a gasser and up to 100 miles for a diesel).

Sounds like a pain, so basically I don't plan to stay anywhere more than a month :)

Kirk

IS IT TRUE????

According to the Ford motorhome customer support folks, you should neer start your engine when parked for an extended period unless you are going to drive it. They say that it will hurt nothing to allow it to sit for several months, if you use a fuel stabilizer and make sure that it has mixed and run into all parts of the engine. They say that it is very damaging to an engine if you start it and let it idle, and then shut down without driving over and over. Doing that will warm the engine just enough to drive out the air as it expands, then when it cools damp air will be drawn back into the engine and moisture will condense. They told me that to sit for three to four months the best thing is to not start the engine at all. When you do start the engine, you should drive it for at least 20 minutes at highway speeds. Around the block is not sufficient. They told me that if you start the engine and just let idle, it will damage the engine, it is only a question of time.

The generator is very different. Your chassis engine is fuel injected while the genset has a carberator. For that reason it is vital that it be operated once each month, but you should still not just let it idle. You must load it to at least 1/2 load for 1 hour. That does several things. It will warm and lube the engine, and it will warm up the generator to drive off any moisture that has developed in it. Both are important. But no engine will fare well if you do a lot of starting and allowing it to idle.

We are fulltime and have been for five + years. We spend two to three tours as volunteers in parks and historic sites each year. We sit anywhere from one to four months. We usually spend three or four months in one spot each winter. We do not start the chassis engine until just days before we get ready to travel. Basically, we try and do exactly what the manufacturer has directed. We have had no problems at all from this type of use.

PS: All caps is considered to be rude on the internet forums. And it makes your posts hard to read. Just a heads up.

LOST

IS IT TRUE????

Thank you for your reponses, i suppose the jury is still out, maybe i should take the advice of all...( and sorry about the caps- not rude , just a lousey typist here.) :bleh: Thank you C Nash-hertig and Kirk

hertig

IS IT TRUE????

Kirk, I'm sure you are right with regards to gas engines. Do your comments apply to diesel engines as well (I have no experiance with them, just someone telling me they don't store as well as gas engines can).

C Nash

IS IT TRUE????

John, I agree wit Kirk about the idle does no good. You need to drive at least 15 t0 20 miles to dry out the exhaust system and get everything to operating conditions. I have torn down engines that have sat for a few months and there will be some rust already in the cylinder walls. The pistons will remove this in just a stroke but cannot be good in the long run in my opinion. We used to pour oil into the intake until it stalled the engine if it was going to sit for a length of time but, I am from the old school when carbs were king.
Sounds like a great DP you are smoking over :approve:

cybercelt

IS IT TRUE????

Sounds like you are working too hard. Plan at least one trip a month to keep that RV in tip-top shape. Take it to a football game or a racetrack if you cannot get away to the country.

Just my thoughts...