is it worth fixing

jwillson64

I have a 1975 Starcraft Stardust Swinger that my in laws have given us. The interior is in great shape as in the canvas, the problem is the front hitch portion is severely rusted and must be replaced along with the channel that pulls up the pop up tent. Additionally the cables are broken, rusted through. Any thoughts out there? Would really love to be able to take the family RVing.

Kirk

is it worth fixing

We raised our sons camping in the cousin of the trailer that you have, a Galaxie 8. Ours was a 73 also. I would think that you could make up new lift cables yourself, as I doubt that you can still get them. It would seem to me that the trailer would be worth repairing. You may also want to contact Starcraft, as they might be able to help you with information if not parts.

We really enjoyed our Starcraft for 12 years.

C Nash

is it worth fixing

I have used a popup that had to be proped up and had just as much family fun as the next camper with the Prevost. That's the great thing about campng. The guy in the Prevost even helped me manually raise and prop it :approve: . if it's all you have and are willing to do the work go for it. You can't put a price on family togerness. Is it worth fixing probaby not but, who looks at the dollars when enjoying life.

Krazeehorse

is it worth fixing

If you have any farmer friends, they would be a good resource for welding up the new tongue. They've probably done it before on an implement or two.

RV-VOL

is it worth fixing

Parts are still available for all Starcraft products. We carry the cables in stock. Check with your local Starcraft Dealership and they should have everything you need to get this unit up and camping with a little elbow grease.

Kirk

is it worth fixing

Thanks for the note, Rick. Just wondering how far back the cables are still available? Didn't Starcraft stop using a cable system with the front winch quite some time back? My 74 had a winch on the tongue that ran back to the center of the box, where it attached to four of the aircraft type cables that ran to each corner. I would suspect that the main cable could be replaced by any good quality cable of the proper length and tinsile strength. We sure loved our Starcraft and I saw one last weekend that looked to be of about the same age, still in use. It was one great trailer!