Is there a preferred method to winterizing and why?

johnsho

Is there a preferred method to winterizing and why?
I have a 5th-wheel that includes a tube and valve to easily get antifreeze to the pump. When I purchased the used RV it had antifreeze in it. I do not know how to winterize and I guess the issue is more the lines than the tanks and mechanisms(pump & heater).
I now have an air compressor, so I guess I have the option.

Please help this novice as it is getting near time to do it.
thanks,
John in Pa.

Triple E

Re: Is there a preferred method to winterizing and why?

I find it easier using the RV antifreeze. That way if any water is left in the lines it will not freeze.

Drain the hotwater tank and put the water valve in bypass. This will prevent antifreeze from entering the hot water tank.

Let the pump suck the antifreeze while opening a water valve one at a time until you see the pink fluid flowing out of the faucet. Don't forget the toilet, shower inside and out, ice maker if used and washing machine if you have one. Two gallons should just about do the trick. All depends on the length of the run for each water line.

I always pull the plug on the hot water tank, install steel wool in the plug hole and leave the vent valve open. This will allow air to circulate through the tank and the steel wool will keep the mice out.

If possible put about a cup or so of antifreezeinto the fresh water tank just in case it did not drain completely. However, you need to drain the fresh water tank the best you can.

Give you batteries a good charge then remove the positive cable.

Buy a package of Dry-Z-Air. This will remove any moisture out of the air in your RV.

I am sure I have forgotten something but someone will chime in and add anything I missed.

Have fun.

akjimny

About the only thing I can add is that after I got the antifreeze all thru the system, I used an air compressor to blow out all the antifreeze I could. That way I didn't have so much to try to purge out come Spring. Many years of camping in Alaska and never had a line freeze (know on wood). :laugh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

That is a good answer Triple E, could not have said it better myself. The one area we differ is I do not put any anti freeze in my fresh water tank. It won't drain completly dry, but the tank is plastic and will allow for expansion of the water as it freezes.

I do NOT belive in "blowing them out" with air. You simply won't get all the water out. A lot of folks will think that air will clean the water pump out also, but it does not. We sell a lot of water pumps each spring. Funny thing...a new water pump costs a lot more than anti freeze. Actually, ANY repair is more costly than anti freeze.

dfedora

To All
Up in New England all the drain traps need to be removed and dumped out, Shower,and all sinks. The antifreeze flush in the water lines just don't do it all the way in the drain traps under the sinks and shower. Then I put some antifreeze in each drain trap.

Dick

H2H1

Steve well said, I also pour some in each P trap, toilet and the shower drain. Steve I like your point about putting steel wool in the HW drain to allow air flow and to keep the mice out. I have not winterize yet still hoping for one more outing. OH one more thing, I like Ken never put antifreeze in the fresh water tank, I drain from the major draining point and both hot and cold low drain valve

Triple E

Yeah, I never really thought about the size of the fresh water tank. It would have to have a lot of water in it for any ice damage so I won't do that again. Thanks Ken.

On the P-traps, I figure while running the antifreeze into the drains from the faucets I would not have to add any more. So far no problems, yet. Maybe I should go pour more down them. We are already getting down to the low twenty's here.

I have the snow plow on the John Deere, so, BRING IT ON OLD MAN WINTER!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :dead:

H2H1

Sorry Steve, 20 degrees is cold , we are in the 80s daytime and now getting into to hi 50 at night, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: it is still short sleeve and shorts around here. But I know someone who has broken out to long johns and carheart already. You know who I am talking about. 730 ROD. :eek: :eek: ;)

Triple E

I have been tracking Rods weather. What is his problem? It is in the low 70's there. I need to get him up here for awhile. Then he would appreciate his warm weather. Talking about warm, have you seen texs weather. No long johns there. :cool: :cool: :cool:

G

well u all know me ,, 60 is sweat shirt weather and a jacket for me ,, u all seen me at the M&G ,, even inside the meeting area i had on either a long sleeve tee shirt ,, or that plus a jacket ,, but i know one person that had on gloves at the first night at the big campfire ,, i will not tell who ,, but i know Ken gave him heck about them ,, anyone know who ??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :clown: :evil: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

mememememememememeemememememememememememe.but they was from getting fire wood out of my car truck ;) ;) and I forgot to pull them off. THAT IS MY STORY AND I AM STICKING WITH IT. :laugh: :laugh:

vanole

I to use RV antifreeze to winterize. Cheap protection in my opinion. I pretty much do like Triple E, however I just drain the hot water tank and replace the plug but do not tighten it down.

One other thing is that I have and under sink water filter (Everpure) and I put it on by-pass so as not to pink it up (if I have recently changed it). Those filters run any where from 36-50 dollars and are advertised to last a year. I've never used one for more than about 10 months but I usually change them when I arrive in Fla for my abbreviated snow bird thing. Stay in Fla anywhere from 2 to 4 months and then winterize.

I follow Splendides guidance for the washer and dryer combo.

I leave pink stuff in the commode so seal does not dry out and don't forget to winterize the handheld by the commode.

Just like Triple E I use either Dri-Z-Air crystals or large tubs of Damprid in the coach to help with moisture. I have a dehumidifier in the coach but don't use it.

I leave the fridge doors open as well as most cupboard doors. Remove all food (chow hall is closed to all critters)

Jeff

H2H1

Jeff we all basically do the same thing each year when we winterized the our RV. I remove the food chain as well and leave the frig door open just to air it out and help stop any mold that starts up. But of course I do that once my beer is gone and no reason to keep it cold .I also us damp-rid in the MH. it is very cheap for good protection. The W/D has never been used since we bought the MH and it has been winterized since then. I will need to remove the water filter, as you I don't want the pink inside of it. I just love this time of year WHEN IT IS COOL, but hate it when I have to winterize the MH. :( :(

H2H1

But KEN you blood is winterized and you don't get cold. Beside you are on the border of being a snowbird and use to the cold. Us folks from the south aren't. :laugh: :laugh: