Is your frame cracking?

cancer12

I have had two friends with F/W trailers in the past two weeks with cracks in the “I” beam frame 2”-3” long and 2” up from the bottom directly above EACH wheel. Neither knew of the cracks, they were notice by a shop tech. I wouldn’t post a single instance but two in that time period seemed to warrant a mention. One is 2002 26’ and other is 2003 28’, different brands but the same frame manufacturer. The cracks are thin but not too hard to spot with a flashlight.
Just wanted to throw this out there might save someone some dollars by catching problem while under warranty.

C Nash

Is your frame cracking?

What is the frame manufacture? Could be a case of overloading. They are being made as light as possible so these type problems will occure in my opinion. That is the reason I would recommend weighing the rv fully loaded. Weight will be the first thing the manufacture will ask or accuse unless there is a recall and they know of the problem. Thanks for bringing it to our attention and welcome to the forum.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Is your frame cracking?

The only time I have heard of frames doing this is if they are overloaded or if they are towing another trailer behind. The frames are NOT designed to do this, but it does happen.
While taking our trailers South week before last, I saw about a 30' fifth wheel with a boat behind it all being towed with a 1/2 ton Chevy short bed. I passed it as quickly as I could.

DL Rupper

Is your frame cracking?

I,m sure the dealer that sold the !/2 ton told him it was ok. I sometimes wonder how I dare pull my little 30ft'er with my Dodge 2500 CTD. It sure looks big back there.

s.harrington

Is your frame cracking?

could be a bad batch of steel. have them contact the trailer manufacturer and see if they will do anything about it. If not contact there state Labor and Industries and the federal DOT and make a formal complaint.