Jayco 253D 5th wheel leaking. Need advice

welderboy44

I am getting ready to buy a 2002 Jayco Qwest fiver for $5000. It has a leak at the right rear corner of the camper. Identified the leak, and the water damage looks like it is isolated to the interior wall above the kitchen counter on one side only. The interior wall is soft at this point. I would like to remove the back wall and repair it myself correctly. The owner is a friend of mine and he pointed the leak out to me. The rest of the camper looks great. I have the ability and the tools to tackle the job, my big question is how do replace the interior wall paneling. Do I have to remove the kitchen cabinets, which is what I am thinking. Oh, by the way I am brand new to camping and am looking forward to learning from the nice folks on here. Thank you for any advice. Lee

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Jayco 253D 5th wheel leaking. Need advice

Well Lee looks like you jumping in, hook line and sinker!!

We do a lot of repairs and you will probably have to remove the cabinets to do it right. I bet when you get into the wall, you will find rotten wall studs also. The problem is, you wont find matching wall board. What is in your 2002 is no longer made for sure. You will have to settle for white, most likely.

Good luck

try2findus

Welcome Welderboy44! Looks like one of the experts has weighed in with his opinion so I would listen to Ken, and hit the ground running.

Hope to see you "on the road". :cool:

welderboy44

RE: Jayco 253D 5th wheel leaking. Need advice

Thank you for the warm welcome. I did buy the 253D and there is damage to the studs and the wood that runs across the top at the rear. I will need to remove the back wall to repair the damage, I think. For the price I paid I feel it is still worth the effort. Don't be scared. Grandview and the rest of ya'll could be a big help in my new endeavor, and it would be appreciated. My wife and I are looking forward to repairing the leak so we can hit the road and enjoy something we have never done bfore. I am sure I will have many more questions for the nice folks here, since I still have a ton to learn about about rv'ing. Drove a tractor trailer for 11 years before opening up my own welding shop. Handy with tools, and the way I see it, it's screws and wood and Dicor sealant. I think it will be a fun way to learn. My Ford F-350 has a gooseneck in the bed so I had to get my buddy to bring it to the house. I will have to install the 5th wheel. I recieved the the 5th wheel hitch, pots and pans, silverware, linens, towels, some tools, better black water hose, mat to go out in front of the door. and asst. stuff that I can't recall. 2002 Jayco 253D with a leak and a bunch of goodies for $5000 bucks even. Did I do OK? Thanks again for any advice I might recieve from everyone on repairing my back wall. All because they did not check the sealant for cracks every 6 months. Thanks again and looking forward to learning anything ya'll can teach me.

try2findus

Thanks for posting back. We enjoy knowing the outcome and look forward to your updates. Yes, updates~we like those too! Informative for all and sometimes very humerous :laugh: . If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

:cool:

H2H1

nornally you laugh at me and Rod :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

try2findus

Hollis, you know you are two of our favorite people to tease...the rest of you know who you are! ;)

Makes life so much more enjoyable and I hear it takes less muscles to laugh, than to frown. :)

Cougarkid, we will read it and thanks for sharing!