Jayco Weekender Electrical Questions

newjim

I bought a Jayco camper built on a 92 chevy g20 chasis.
It has an aux deep cycle battery to run 12 v fridge, vent fan & int lighting which is charged by main 12v system when driving & 110 v converter when plugged in. I think this battery needs replacing because it doesn't take much of a charge, but I haven't been able to locate it. Can anyone tell me where it is?

Thanks - Jim.

newjim

RE: Jayco Weekender Electrical Questions

well - i found the aux battery - it's located underneath the rig on the drivers side, and based on the condition of the bolt that holds the box, the battery hasn't been out or serviced in years. Considering that, it's surprising that it takes any charge at all.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on a low or no maintenance deep cycle battery to replace it, and what kind of life expectancy to have for the battery.

Jim

hertig

Re: Jayco Weekender Electrical Questions

A true 'deep cycle' battery will not have any 'cranking rating'. Just 'amp-hours'. If it is hard to get to, you will want to use a battery which does not have 'water' in it, like AGM or gel. Anything which has water and any way for gas to escape, needs to have the water topped off regularly. A standard 'wet' cell, well maintained ought to be good for perhaps 5 years on average. Don't know about the other types.

DL Rupper

Re: Jayco Weekender Electrical Questions

Wal-Mart marine/deep cycle batteries run about $60 for their biggest and best. I've had good luck with them. They last about 3 to 4 years, but then we are full timers and use them 24/7. These are standard wet cell. If you decide on the Wal-Mart battery, take the old one with you as they require the old 1 for re-cycle. If you don't turn in the old 1, they charge more for the new 1.