Just bought our first RV

cwishert

Hi, I am new to this site and to the RV world. I have been reading many post on this site and I really find it very informative and intersting. I know I will get some razzing from some of you because I am one of those who jump in with both feet and then figure out what I am doing. Well anyway we bought a 2006 Four Winds Class C Dutchmen Express 29' motorhome. I was wondering about any opinions on the MH, the maker, any good or bad things about the vehicle.

We have had it for two weeks and this weekend will be the first weekend we get to actually take it out to try it out. We will be spending two nights at Lake Texana in Brackenridge Park. So far we have had some heavy rain and wind and the vehicle is not leaking anywhere and everything is in perfect condition so I am really not expecting any severe problems. We have tested everything we can at home, the potty, the radio, television, stove, refrigerator. All is working well.

Any comments are appreciated.

hutchings8

RE: Just bought our first RV

I was just in your shoes a few months ago. I have no real advise except for this. If you are married make sure you guys make a pact that no matter how much arguing you do the first few trips you will not get a divorce. It took us a few trips to get organized and have a game plan for setting up and breaking down. Now we have soooo much fun!!!!!!!!

cwishert

Re: Just bought our first RV

Yes I'm married, 24 years last week. I know that this first weekend will be a crazy one but I think we can handle it. He has put up with all my craziness for this long, I think that we can overcome the trials and tribulations of RVing. Like you said, we just need to get organized and figure everything out. Once it gets old hand, we will have no problems.

elkhartjim

Welcome to the forum. Razzing...what razzing? Welcome to the wonderful world of rving. If you have not done this before, you're in for a real treat. You'll meet the nicest people in the world.
As far as opinions on your new toy...if you like it and are happy it doesn't matter what any of us think. Go..enjoy and if you're organized in the first several trips...write a book. Just keep a pad to make notes on with what you forgot, but remember, most of us carry more weight around (not just my middle) than needed.

cwishert

Well I knew it would probably be good natured razzing, I am up for it. I know that we will probably take a hundred things that we don't need but leave out the the things that are almost necessary. Unfortunately we don't have a tow dolly just yet so we won't be taking the PT Cruiser (toad) with us yet. Fortunately though we have family that lives like 3 miles from the lake so we would probably be able to handle anything that comes up. I do make a lot of lists so I am sure with just a little practice we will be able to come and go with no effort. I really like this forum because everyone seems so friendly (well mostly) and it seems like I already know some of you.

Thanks for your input!

elkhartjim

Hey Carol...do have honey pack a tool box if you haven't already. Duct tape. Ohm meter if you have one. Lots of money for fuel$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ARCHER

Hey Carol, welcome. I suggest you get a notebook (spiral) and start a log of your experiences, problems, fixes, folks ya meet, trips, etc. Don't forget to take lots of pictures of your journeys.....makes for a good album. Enjoy ;)

Shadow

Welcome aboard Carol. The only advice I have is to have fun!!! And let us know how the fishing is. Just down hwy 59 from Ya.

cwishert

Thanks for all the welcomes and the advice. My husband is a mechanic so we don't go down to the corner without a tool box, jack, duct tape, and some sort of wire to tie things up if necessary. Also he is a planner, he plans everything down to the minute almost. I myself am more of the spontaneous type and think that things should just be easy. He has kept me in line for the most part. I will take all your advice and keep good journals and hopefully our daughter will be the photographer. She does like to take a lot of pictures but mostly of herself. I will let you all know how the weekend turns out.

Carol and John

G

hey carol ,, i like u'r husband ,, he plans like i do ,, i am also a mechanic ,, rv that is ,, but i plan and rethink stuff for months before we leave for a trip ,, i think of all the bad stuff that i have seen ,, u know ruining vacations ,, but have fun ,, and if have any probs ,, we might have some advice ,, if u can read betwwen or jokes ;) :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve: :) :)

cwishert

Well Jim, I might just have to write that book! I hope that organization is our only problem. So far we are getting everything together nicely. My husband has found out that "all that storage" underneath is really not that much. He is getting good a making things smaller. I am finding out that the inside storage is enough but it does not make sense sometimes. I want to put towels in the bathroom but guess what no room, got to put them in the bedroom. I guess we will get it all situated some kind of way. So far the only real problem I can see is our Miniature Schnauzer Zeus. First of all where to put his crate, second of all when we get to the campsite how to keep him from killing himself trying to greet all the new people and other animals. This will be a first for him also. I think I might have to invest in some training if this weekend doesn't do well for him. I hope I don't have to keep in the crate for most of the time. Do any of you all encounter animal owners who have problems with their pets?

elkhartjim

We carry our springer and mini wienie dog. Get one of those screw in the ground dilly's with a lite cable. Our wienie dog learned to swim in the Guadelupe river last week. You'll find allot of people have dogs...and cats. Our dogs are very friendly. Great fun watching our dogs chase a jack russell last wekk....they didn't have a chance, but they had fun. Hint number next...get some disposable gloves for messing with the sewer hose. Do you have experience here? Remember Robin Williams in the rv vacation movie....it happens.

TexasClodhopper

Jim, you reminded me of the time when we took our wiener dog to the lake and out on the boat. We all jumped in the lake (Sallyberetta had great fun commanding each one of us to, "go jump in the lake you nerd!")

The wiener whined on deck, so we lifted her down into the water. She had never been in water where her feet didn't touch!

It was so funny watching her go from one to the other, because her back end kept trying to get there first! :laugh:

We had to take her out after a couple of minutes. We were almost drowning with laughter! :clown:

DL Rupper

Hey carol, welcome to the forum. Try a writing down a list of things to do when you get to your destination and a list of things to do to get back on the road. It works. Without a list we forget to do something that is important like remove the chocks or remove the water regulator from the water connection before leaving. Just little things. It's surprising how many water regulators we've bought over the years.

Kirk

Carol and John

As far as what we think of your choice, Jim put it best. Go into this with a positive attitude and don't be concerned about what we think of your choice. While it isn't one of the highest priced available, you obviously know that already. Take good care of it and treat it nice and it should serve you well as your first RV. Most of us here have owned many different RVs over many years so we have probably made about any mistake that you can think of. The big thing is to take your time, and go step by step both when you set-up and again when you pack to leave. The last thing before you start the engine, walk slowly all around the RV, look under and over every part of it to be sure that nothing has been forgotten.

And most important, have fun! This is a really great way to travel.

elkhartjim

Put the antennae down...its amazing how many rigs you see going down the road with it up. Thats okay till you get to the first tree.

cwishert

You all are great! I really appreciate all the input. I can't wait to get going this afternoon. Unfortunately I have to stay at WORK until 4:30. I really hate that four letter word. I will definitely be cautious and careful when leaving home, when trying to set up and when packing to go home. Like I said before, my husband is one of the most obsessive compulsive people I know when it comes to things like this. And Tex it won't be me having to check for him. He might forget to check to see if I am in. I am one of those who likes to stay until the very last second. I don't want to miss out on any fun, and I hate to get back home to all the regular stuff.
We might just happen to forget the kids though on accident. We will go back for them after a while :)

DL Rupper

Hey Carol, I've got work today too. I'm driving all the way down to the South Gate Entrance to Crater Lake Natl Park today. The North Entrance is snowed in. Darn that ol global warming. I just hate it. I'll post a couple of Pix's to my album tonight so y'all can see how much work it was. I can't post pic's because my RAZR cell phone only takes Pix's. ;)

cwishert

Man I feel sorry for you have to do all that Work! Can't wait to see the pictures. I really need to get me one of those United States maps and start filling it in. I could only put two states on it so far though. Maybe soon I will be able to add a few more. Probably won't be able to add many since hubby only gets one week vacation a year and sometimes it takes longer than that just to get out of Texas. After he decides that he doesn't need all that money though we will be good to go!