K&N FILTERS

XXL PAPA

HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY LUCK WITH K&N FILTERS?? I'M THINKING ABOUT BUYING THE FUEL INJECTION PACKAGE FOR MY F-250 C/C V10.I'M LOOKING FOR POWER AND MILEAGE. ALSO I'VE HEARD THAT YOU HEAR MORE NOISE IN THE CAB.

ARCHER

K&N FILTERS

talked to a guy down in Florida this winter that swears by them. He puts them in all his vehicles (he rebuilds cars for a living). I was going to put one of the K&N air filters on my 7.4L V8 on my Class A but have not done so yet. Hopefully, someone else will speak on this subject and help us both.
Welcome to the forum. :)

Gary B

K&N FILTERS

HI guys, the K&N filters are good, the biggest advantage of them is longer time/miles between servicing, you clean and reoil and reuse so if you keep your vehicles forever like I do then they are cheaper over the years. You will or at least I haven't seen any inprovement in fuel mileage or any additional power. Presently I am running an Amsoil foam air filter in my 460 and I preffer foam filters to the cotton gauze type (K&N). The Amsoil filter is cleanable and reuseable and again I have no notice power increase or mpg increase. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

Butch

K&N FILTERS

I, like a few others I know, tried the K & N for a short period on one of my trucks, an F750. noticed dirt on the wrong side of that puppy and immediately removed it. A few of the diesel sites will tell you the same thing. From the manufacturer: the dirtier they get the better they work... They do flow more air, I prefer to stop the dirt. I do like the foam filters recommended by Gary B. above BUT they don't make one for my diesel otherwise it would certainly have one. If you choose to use a K & N, I would certainly wish you luck...

Cory

K&N FILTERS

I've been on both sides of the counter, selling K&N and using K&N. It's been 10 years since I sold them, but I still use their oil and air filters today on my autos and motorcycles. I personally have never had a problem with dirt on the other side of the filter. I ran their FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) on my 5.0L Mustang for many years without ever seeing any dirt in the mass air meter or throttlebody that would have gotten by the filter.

Noisier? With just the panel replacement filter, no. With the open FIPK, yes. Kind of like an open element air filter on a muscle car with the Holley wide open. If your a hot rodder at heart you'll like the sound. From inside I could only hear it under WOT on my Mustang.

I run Amsoil oil in my autos and motorcycles, and their oil filters are not bad at all (they are made by a major oil filter manufacturer for them), but I don't like the foam air filters. I've seen dirt get by them, and by the time you get the foam dense enough to trap the dirt you lose flow. Just my observations.

Fuel mileage? I've never noticed a real gain just by changing to a high flow air filter. A recent test I saw in an import car magazine tested the high flow air filters set-up from several manufacturers and they experienced about a 2% gain in HP across the board by all of them. So the HP gain isn't great, but for a just an air filter that isn't bad.

XXL PAPA

K&N FILTERS

thanks to everybody that answer, what i'm really looking for is mileage. the stock motorcraft filter i was getting around 10 to 11 mpg changed to a fram and now i'm low 9 mpg. so tomorrow i'm going to get the motorcraft filter and put a hold on the k&n filter. thanks again :) :) :laugh: :evil:

BobW

K&N FILTERS

The only reason to put a K&N filter on your rig is to keep from buying another one. You can clean them. Better mileage? You might as well take the filter off. All your doing is making it easier for the air to get through. The easier the air gets through, the more noise you get and the more dirt gets past the filter. Stick with the manufactures advice.

rootntootn

K&N FILTERS

I put a K&N filter on my 1988 5.0 Mustang and it produced HP equivalent to a turbo-charger. Advertized to increase 15-25 hp, I got all 25 horses. Have K&N filters on all cars, pick-up and motorhome.

LittleRay

K&N FILTERS

While not a tow vehicle, I added a "drop in" K&N and a cat-back exhaust with a Dyno-max turbo muffler to my '89 Bronco II and have noticed a "perceivable" increase in acceleration and mpg. Nothing dramatic, but an improvement none the less. I just smogged the car and it was fine.

Like Cory, it has been my observation that the open element "snorkel" filter kits do add intake noise and require more frequent cleaning. The drop in factory replacement filter that I used added no noise. Of course the exhaust is another story... :)

For reliability, staying with the factory stuff is a good way to go. If you wish to change the way an engine runs, you'll need to change parts. Of course, the fun part is getting from a "change" to an "improvement"...