Kayaking

elkhartjim

Anybody got any experience wtih buying one of these. Looks fun, some good exercise but I don't know squat (thats east Texan for don't know anything) about what to look for. Any advice? Only thing for sure is my wife wants a red one...is it a power thing
icon_smile_question.gif

DL Rupper

Re: Kayaking

Hey Jim the only thing I know is that they tip upside down. Looks like a good way to stay cooooll in the summer.

raskal

RE: Kayaking

I used to paddle with and publish an ezine for touring kayakers in the Great Lakes area.

Two types ... white water (tight fit, pull on like a pair of jeans and no room for gear or beer and a real drudge to try and cross flat water with) and touring or sea kayaks ( usually longer with more leg room inside and water "tight" or resistant hatches for gear storage).

Both types could tip easily but you soon get used to the balance and can maintain on the dry side. Touring boats are excellent to fish from and can paddle circles around and outrace a canoe any day ... some even have a rudder which will work with the foot peddals inside. Mine were 17' long and were in the Lakes and Atlantic ... obiously don't have 'em on the RV with me though models in the 9' to 14 range could be mounted on a 5er or toad ... even the puller truck with a decent roof rack.

Post if you've got more questions.

mdavis5855

Hi. This is mike form southern california. My wife an I built a 20 foot sit inside from a kit. Pygmy boats in Washington state. Beside what they told you their are also sit appons like the rentals in Hawaii and on the west coast. The other ones you sit inside. Eather wau they are a fun way to get excersise. I still can not figure out how to get the 20 footer on top of the RV. You need to take a class and learn what ot do if you tip over for a good reentry. I hope that helps you.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I rented a sit on top kayak last weekend. It was great. I did not feel like it was going to tip at all, but water was easy. If it did tip, I would have just come off. Would not have had to worry about turning back over. It was 15' long.

raskal

Sit-on-Top's are fun and, because they are generally much wider than a traditional kayak, less prone to tipping when the passenger makes a dumb move.

The problems with them are; 1) much heavier for any given size, 2) no weather protection for the occupant as you're exposed to the elements 3) no or limited gear storage - cameras would die a sudden death and 4) no protection at all from potential beasties of the sea such as the numerous jelly's in the ocean with their stinging cells.

I've played on a couple of models of sit-on-top's and enjoyed them ... the fishing from them was great! Even considered purchasing a 12' model which included a live well for bait. Sun screen by the quart was manditory in Florida.

ejdixon

I take it from your post that you're pretty much new at kayaking. I'd suggest to try renting out a kayak first to have a go at it and see how you enjoy it. Kayak rental companies have a lot of different models and brands, depending on where you'll be kayaking. That way, you can find which brand, type and length you're most comfortable with. As for the color, don't worry about it. Red is a pretty common color to find among kayaks. :eek:

I have a Hobie Mirage revolution.........it is a sit on top........13.5 ' long..........with the pedals.....mirage system....so I can pedal or paddle..........I love it for fishing........I can cast and or troll while pedalling............but let me tell you....if you want to kayak you must love the water because you are in it.....not literaly but....its not like being in a boat or even a canoe....you are much lower in the water....you have no high walls to shield you from the water or the elements.....I feel like I am part of nature when kayaking.......if you enjoy peace and quiet.....solitude and that getting back to nature feel....its a blast....but rent one first.........give it a try......and good luck!