Kingpin box replacement

justforfun

I recently purchased a 1978 shast fifth wheel that the kin pin drops strait down. I pull the trailer with a short box truck and would like to put a extended king pin box on the trailer but so far I am having no luck finding any replacement pin boxes. does anyone have any ideas as to where I can go. I have had one RV dealer tell me to find a metal fabricator might be my best bet for something so old. Is this true? If it is that is ok I just need to know what is going to be the best direction to take. Thanks for your help

hertig

Kingpin box replacement

Messing with the pin box is generally a bad idea. The stresses in this area are significant, and replacing the pin box with one for which the trailer is not designed, is inviting disaster.

Probably would be better to look into a sliding hitch.

(or a long bed truck :) )

Grandview Trailer Sa

Kingpin box replacement

I think both the dealer and John are correct. For a 1978 model, I doubt you will find anything today that will bolt in. John is correct because when when you change the pull point, you will change the stresses on the frame. It may not cause problems, but there is a good chance it will. Be very careful.
A sliding hitch would be a good choice.