kitchen dump valve

don walker

If you have a leaky dump valve, it may be that you are leaving the valve open when hooked to a dump station. it is ok to leave the shower valve open but not the kitchen. if it drains slow as you use the sink it lets junk get in your valve gasket. This prevents it from closing good. only dump it when you have enough water in it to have a good flow as you dump. this prevents sedement from filling up the gasket.

ARCHER

kitchen dump valve

Well, Caveman,
I disagree with your logic. I leave my Black Tank Valve closed until the tank is nearly 3/4 to full and then open it and drain it then. The day before I dump the black tank, I close the grey tank valve and then after I have dumped the black tank, I open the grey tank to flush the last particles of black tank "stuff" through the hose. I leave the grey tank open the rest of the time. In my case, my shower, my kitchen sink and my bathroom sink all drain into the grey tank. I treat my grey line (the sink traps) weekly. As far as the leaky dump valve, I am assumeing you mean the gray tank valve and not the black tank valve leaking. If, in either case, they are leaking, you probably need to replace the valve because it is probably worn (the rubber seals). ;)

don walker

kitchen dump valve

I do mean the gray tank. I have 2 gray. a shower, and a kitchen.I dont have a problem If i have plenty of water in the kitch when I dump it. H.R. replaced the valve 3 times . after the 3rd time I no longer left the kitch valve open while hooked to dump. That fixed the problem.

ARCHER

kitchen dump valve

Well, having two grey is a different story. If you don't treat the kitchen grey tank, you should treat it. Wally world has treatment just for grey tanks and it does work well. It dissolves the grease, etc. Good luck and by the way, welcome to the forum. :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

Kirk

kitchen dump valve

I'm no expert, but we have been keeping the gray valve open when parked long term, for five years of fulltime RV living. I do close the gray valve once a month and allow it to fill for a couple of days just to flush it, but otherwise it is left open when we have full hook-ups.

the_vfox

kitchen dump valve

We don't put grease or oil down the train, we keep it in an empty coffee can and get rid of it when we move the 5er. When parked a long time both of our grey water tanks are open. We only drain the black water when its full. Never had any problems with our method.

:cool:

don walker

kitchen dump valve

I dont put don't put any thing down my sink but dish water. How ever some coffee grounds may get in the dish water. they replaced the valve 3 times and after the 4th time i do not leave the sink valve open and only drain it when it needs it. this seems to have fixed the problem... but you do what you want and don't complain when you have a problem...

Poppa

kitchen dump valve

To Dump or Not to dump that is the question? :laugh:

We all have different ways of skinning the kitty cat :bleh:

scooterman

kitchen dump valve

I have a newbie question, does anyone add that blue chemical you see a Wally world for the porta potties, if so how much & I'm guessing you keep a small amount of water in the black tank or no? Sorry I'm just trying to learn, I'm still shopping for a travel trailer. :question:

don walker

kitchen dump valve

Yes I do use chemicals and there are all different brands. Each should have the suggested amount to use per gallon of your holding tank. (approximately 4 ounces per 40 gallon of your tank) I don't bother leaving water in the tank when dumping, but use plenty of water when flushing. Never leave holding tank open when parked and connected to the dump. Okay to leave shower tank open. I don't leave kitchen tank open as I indicated.

ARCHER

kitchen dump valve

Use to own a big boat that had a porta pot on it. I used the "blue stuff"/ I dumped it and then put a little water in bottom of the tank (holding) then a couple ounces of blue stuff and then filled the flush tank and put the correct amount of blue stuff for size of flush tank. Worked well for eight years and never smelled.