laminate flooring

buftflair

I searched the forum for any information that I could find regarding replacing the carpet in our RV with laminate flooring and had reached the conclusion that it was prretty time consuming project. I decided to put it on the lower half of the "list" and get back to it. Well as it happened a friend's house sustained some water damage and had to have all the laminte replaced (it was only a couple of years old) so I wound up with plenty of undamaged flooring and padding for the coach. As I worked cutting and fitting this *&%$ flooring the only saving grace was that it was free!
Now for the moral to the story: it took a lot of effort and a good amount of time BUT it was worth it especially seeing the happy look on the wife's face and the admiring looks from friends.
Would I do it again? Not no, but hell no!!!

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: laminate flooring

Do you have any before and after pictures? My DH and I are thinking of doing the same thing and would like to see the end results.

hamdave

RE: laminate flooring

I had good luck doing mine. First realize that what you want to do is measure and make a reference line down the center of the motorhome so that you can figure out how to cut the 'edge' pieces' from the beginning. Doing this measurement ahead of time will reduce the number of cut-outs that are going to be needed and also will eliminate the possibility that you have a thin sliver somewhere it should not be. Worked out for me and did like the results also. Now I don't have a slide, so cannot comment on what type of difficulty that would cause.

Good luck in your effort.

benwd

Re: laminate flooring

I've done some Pergo floors [home depot] and it was easy and am just getting started on the rv. The only concern I have is where the slide rollers now run across carpet they will be rolling on the laminate and flexing damage could be an issue.

buftflair

I don't have slide out on my coach, but there are thrreads in the forum where people have dealt with them. Good luck and most of all have FUN!

benwd

Thanks, I did a search on laminate floor and slide rollers and never came up with anything. The laminate is plenty strong and if I plan ahead so as not to have a joint near the edge of the roller I should be ok.

benwd

Update on the laminate tile floor project. It was a lot of work and took about four days but nothing hard about it. I used putty epoxy to shape the edges of the flooring where each slide roller comes up and it worked good for a transition for the rollers. The laminate takes the roller weight without any apparent problems.