Launching a boat with a class C

rimshot

We just got a 24' Tioga Class C and haven't used it yet. Only had it a week and I'm chompin at the bit to get out. I thought a good shake down trip would be to Brannen Island here in the California delta for some sturgeon fishing. Are there any tips/tricks I should know about puttin the boat in the water? I did put one of those plastic "fish eye" things in the back window which does provide alot more visibility but are there any other things I can do to make this easier? Thanks....rimshot

H2H1

Re: Launching a boat with a class C

I guess you have experiance is backing a boat. BUT I would have a guide back there watching out for you. Also have that person on your side so you can keep an eye on him/her and no one gets hurts. ENJOY your Class C

TexasClodhopper

I would get/pay someone to launch it for me. I wouldn't aim my MH at the water on a downhill slope!

Either that or buy flood insurance! :clown:

Triple E

In a pick-up you can usually back up until your rear tires are in the water. In your class c you will not want to do this, so just be sure you launch in deeper waters. Good luck and enjoy them Sturgeon. :cool:

try2findus

I agree with Tex...scary thoughts are running through my head when I think about backing an RV toward the water, on a downhill slope. :question:

LEN

Did it with an older class A a bunch many years ago. Just use common sense.

LEN

Blueeyes

We launched a small alum. boat for many years with our Gulfstream Conquest 20'. We always put a white plastic pipe on the side of the trailer so that it stuck out far enough that the driver could see it from inside the MH. That way he could see what direction the boat trailer was going. We never had any problems & I got out & watched for other people around the ramp.

rimshot

Well there's good news, and bad news. I have vertical guides on my boat trailer made of 3" PVC about 4' long. I drilled 1/4" holes horizontally all the way through each side and placed one of those round reflectors that is on a 4' rod through each side. These reflectors are made to stick in the ground for visibility. Having one of these on either side that I can see in the mirrors, and that fish eye thing in the window made it a breeze. The ramp I went to isn't very steep though. It still could get interesting. Now the bad news. I hooked a sturgeon, fought it for over ten minutes and all of a sudden it was gone. I reeled in and both hooks were bent almost straight. I'm afraid the fish fry will have to be postponed....rimshot

LEN

Most likely it was too big to keep anyway, a six footer is always fun to land though.

LEN

rimshot

Hey, a six footer would be fun. My biggest is five foot and that was a blast. It was also twenty-five years ago. I'm overdue. I just got the cargo carrier from UPS yesterday. Would love to break it in with a sixty-five inch sturgeon....rimshot

LEN

Well I have landed a couple 7 ft, now that is a struggle. And there were a few many many many years ago that lost a little in the tail to go home. I did see a 13 fter that was killed when a dam over/on/in that columbia was being built, that was in the 50s. Also saw a guy get all but drug into the river by a biggun.

LEN

cougarkid

Coming in a little late.............................

But back to the main question,

Practice makes perfect. A spotter is good.

Another trick is to mount a hitch/ball on the front bumper of the RV. Not a big classed one, just one that is bolted to a steel bumper (with the bumper bolted to the frame).

Pull up to the ramp and spin around so the boat is ready to go down the ramp. Block trailer tires, unhitch, turn the RV around, hitch the trailer to the front bumper, unblock tires and drive it down to launch the boat. Back out and rehook the trailer to the rear of the RV. Park. OR, back to a parking spot and be ready to "drive" it in later to retrieve the boat.

You can now SEE the boat/trailer going down the ramp and going into the water. Rear tires are WAY clear of the water and moss on the ramp. Easier to back the RV up the ramp with the trailer in tow up front than backing down the ramp with limited trailer visibilty.

Practice this manuver in a parking lot before going to the lake/river.

Some other "boaters" may freak out the first time you do it. After they see it done successfully and quickly, they will appreciate the effort.

My brother used this trick with his ski boat and a panel van (no rear windows). He was frequenting a newly created lake (larg e) that was not full yet. 24' wide ramps that were sometimes 1/2 mile long to get down to the water. Worked really well for him. Never got stuck on a mossy/wet ramp pulling the boat out.

Just another way to do it.

Bounder Boy

cougarkid. Although I have never done it that way, I have seen it by a number of people over the years. Lots of looks and much laughing, UNTIL, they see how easy and fast it is done. I like your thinking.......