leaf springs

whardi001

checked up under my 30 ft motorhome and noticed the leafsprings are shaped more like a snake rather than your traditional curve you see on autos .it is 14 years old and parked most of its life with only 14000 mi . on it . im wondering if they need to be replaced ? i recently had a brake line replaced . it was on the axle . im wondering if the axle may have bumped into the body. to cause this unusual spot to go bad in the rear brakeline . im also wondering what kind of money to replace those leaf springs ?

C Nash

Re: leaf springs

Sounds like you are going to have to replace or rearch the springs Wallace. Should be able to tell if the brake line was mashed. I doubt that it went that far unless you really bottom out somewhere. Don't know about the cost you will just have to ck around. Might do a goggle search on cost and get an idea of cost. Welcome to the forum

whardi001

thanks for the input . we havent had it long , havent trusted it enough yet to take it any long distances . there are many places to go just right here in md . western md ,asiteake island , va . beach . have you ever been? have you ever heard of anyone using helper springs, or are they junk? thanks for the welcome !

C Nash

Wallace I would not go with helper springs to solve this problem. It should not be that expensive to replace the springs especially if you do it yourself. Its not a major job if you have the means to do it. What chassis do you have? If its chev guess you have coils in front and you can install spacers to raise some.

mda

I would go to a good spring shop to have them check them out. They may be salvageable. If not, they could probably make a new "improved" set of springs specifically for that vehicle. I did this with my class C, improving height and ride in the process.