Leaky Front Window

MDThayer

My 2000 Minni Winni and I our back with another situation. Where the bunk is on top the window that slants in the front leaks in a few spots when it rains. Any suggestion on fixing this problem. Of course it's raining in Houston all week! I also have to say this forum is great. Thanks to everyone who participates. I hope I will be helpful someday to others.

Diane Thayer
2000 Minni Winnie
2007 Pelican Kayak :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Re: Leaky Front Window

The best way to deal with that now that it has leaked is to pull the window out and make sure the wood behind it is dry.

We bought ours without that window after having looked at many with it. There's a lot of pressure in that area when you drive.

MDThayer

Thanks Tex, guess this calls for a dealership.

Diane
2000 Minni Winnie
2007 Pelican Kayak

Kirk

RV windows are not difficult to remove and reseal. If you do so just remove the screws from the inside ring and the push it our with an assistant to take it from you. You then need to remove all of the old caulk from around the opening and replace it with new butyl tape. You then reinstall the window. Not a big deal if you have someone to help. You tighten the screws a little at a time, around and around the window until a little of the butyl material squeeses out all around the window.

MDThayer

Thanks Kirk. Looks like a job we can handle. My concern is if there is any water damage to the RV lurking bihind the wall. It appears as those it dripped from the top of the window straight down as opposed to running down inside the wall. There is this "gully" where the water seems to be sitting on the bunk. Not sure how to get the water out without tearing up the carpet.

Diane
2002 Minni Winnie

hertig

At one time I got some kind of 'super sponge' at a home show. the claim was that pushing it down into the carpet would suck up moisture in the carpet. Never tried it, but might be an option. Also, a big wet/dry vac may be of use.

Once you get out all the water you can, set a fan blowing on the area.

MDThayer

Thanks John. The neighbor has a wet vac. I will probably have to pull up the carpet to suck the water out of that gully. We have our work cut out for us tomorrow.

Diane T.
2000 Minnie Winnie

MDThayer

Another question: With all the rain we don't seem to be able to get to the window just yet. We plan to go to Dallas next weekend 13th (dropping son off for camp) and then the following week going to Yellowstone NP 19th . Is there something we can do (maybe caulk) temporarily until the weather dries up to keep it from leaking and then take the window out etc. later when it stops raining?

Diane T.
2000 Minnie Winnie :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Depends on where its leaking. Anything you put on it now to seal it temporarily you will have to remove later. That might make your job much more difficult later.

As is always true with RVs, procrastination always causes more damage.

If its a bad leak, and you drive in the rain, you will force more water into it while you drive.

MDThayer

Thanks Tex, point taken. Lets hope it doesn't rain this weekend in Houston so we can get it done. BTW - it leaks at the top of the window.

Diane T.

MDThayer

Thanks Tex, point taken. Lets hope it doesn't rain this weekend in Houston so we can get it done. BTW - it leaks at the top of the window.

Diane T.

TexasClodhopper

We're just about 40 miles northeast of Houston, so I know the prospects of dry weather are slim! :laugh: