Leaving awnings out year long?

superbear

We just started living in our RV in June, so this is our first winter. We live in Central Ohio and I have a question regarding the awning. Can I leave it out all winter long? If not when should I put it in? We have slight mobility issues and would like to leave it out as much as possible. But I need to know when I should put it in so it doesn't get ruined. I would greatly appreciate any advise I can get.

Jackie

LEN

Re: Leaving awnings out year long?

Don't think I would leave one out all winter. Winds, frozen with ice on top, snow load all would be a case for a bad time. wait for a warmer day in the sun when it's dry and put it in for the bad weather.

LEN

JimE

RE: Leaving awnings out year long?

Jackie, in 2008 I purchased a used 2005 coach. The owners were work campers and left the slide outs open 24x7x365. I just had to replace both of the awnings as they had become delaminated from being exposed to the elements for so long. I would highly recommend closing your awning.

H2H1

Jackie I think you have gotten the right answer from Len and JimE. As Jim as stated the elements will will destroy it a short time. But as stated earlier, it good to let them out to dry after a rain, and always apply some type of protector on them.

rjf7g

We were expecting to get back to our class C at our seasonal site before the bad weather hit. Well, it's not winterized and the awning is still out! I m hoping the awning dries out so we can put it up this weekend and that the plumbing is still in tact!

H2H1

Becky we wished you the best on the plumbing, hope nothing has frozen and burst. also that the awning is still in tack.

rjf7g

H2H1 - 12/7/2009 8:15 PM

Becky we wished you the best on the plumbing, hope nothing has frozen and burst. also that the awning is still in tack.

Thanks! Ken is probably thinking, "Uh oh, there she goes again, messing something up!"

H2H1

Well at least you have someone you can call. You must have him on speed dial :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

Don't think there is much you can do to protect other than drying before putting up and cleaning with soap water and maybe a little bleach for mold removal.

LEN

rjf7g

H2H1 - 12/8/2009 9:09 PM

Well at least you have someone you can call. You must have him on speed dial :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let's just say, I think he recognizes my number!