Letting Converter Charge the Battery

lolly

I use shore power exclusively, but since I'm in the boonies, I sometimes loose power for a few hours. I have a fifth wheel with one of those car batteries in an outside compartment that you can hook up.

I am told that my converter will keep that charged, but other sources say that will burn up your battery. I just thought I'd leave the battery hooked up for the RARE occasions I loose electrical power, so at least I'll still have lights and stuff.

Also, I replace the refrigerator with a regular electric one because the LP/Electric Domestic one original to the trailer died and it was too expensive to replace it. Will the fridge run on battery power? It is only a 9 cu. in. fridge. I don't know the wattage/amps.

Barracuda

As long as you keep the water level correct in the battery, it should be fine hooked up all the time. I have never unhooked mine. Is the refig 12v dc or 110v AC ? A battery will probably NOT run the refig.

lolly

the fridge is 110, so no, it won't run when the electricty goes off. But I couldn't afford $900+ dollars for a camper fridge, since i'm stationary anyway. If need be, I can go get some ice!

My battery is real old. Should I consider one of those marine deep cycle batteries? They're about $60 here....

lolly

the fridge is 110, so no, it won't run when the electricty goes off. But I couldn't afford $900+ dollars for a camper fridge, since i'm stationary anyway. If need be, I can go get some ice!

My battery is real old. Should I consider one of those marine deep cycle batteries? They're about $60 here....

lolly

My battery is real old. Should I consider one of those marine deep cycle batteries? They're about $60 here....I want something sturdy for the winter months just in case.

ARCHER

Yes, get deep cycle battery. They are made for that kind of use (discharge/charge). I use two Marine Deep Cycel on my Class a for the Aux batteries. Just make sure you keep water level full (distilled water, not tap water). Hope your converter got installed and all is back to some kind of "happy time" for you.
Enjoy the rest of the summer.... :cool:

lolly

Archer,

Got the new converter, it was pretty much a drop in replacement.

Nothing on a trailer is hard except that the spaces where they put things is crappy. The cords were so short that I couldn't pull out to the floor to hook up the converter. Instead, I had to lie under the refrigerator, in a space only big enough for my head, but not big enought to TURN my head, so I worked with my arms and hands with my eyes closed, like a deep sea diver.

How hard is it to add 6" to a cord? Oh, no, that's right. The trailer industry doesn't do that...it would cost an extra 4 cents! ;)

But yes, I'm sitting in airconditioning again, which is good. It's 97 outside today...that's about 105+ inside the camper

lolly

Oh, one more funny thing.

I couldn't even FIND the converter to change it out. So I called Fleetwood.

It's behind the electrical panel (tiny hole) so you have to take that out. Okay. Take the whole electrical panel out. Still can't get to it.

The lady says to me, breezily, like it's no big deal: "You have to take the whole stove out to get to it."

I'm like, lady, no offense meant, but I'm not taking out a gas stove to put a 5" x 4" inch metal box in, and I surely HOPE that is not how this thing is designed.

I did find another way, obviously.

ARCHER

Lolly,
Sounds like your really enjoying the camping seen.... :blush: :laugh:
Sometimes things do get out of hand and the end result seem to be kind of simple when you sit back and digest it all. It is even funny at times.... :approve:
Once you get all your things opeating, I believe your gonna enjoy yourself and being able do other things that are not quite as stressful.
Enjoy and if you have more questions, somewhere/somehow someone will give you the answer or guidance your looking for.
There are really good people that read this forum daily that can help. (thanks goodness) ;)