Leveling jacks

roostonu

I just bought a 97 Aljo 22' TT. I am new to the RV world and have a question about leveling jacks. I have seen stabalizers that just have a single leg and they aren't recomended for leveling a trailer, but the scissor jack style leveling jacks say they are rated at 5000 lbs each. Can these actually be used to level out my trailer or should I get the leveling blocks or just stack 2" x 8" pieces of wood? Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

hertig

Leveling jacks

The rating of the jacks is nice, but what is the rating of the frame between the jacks? If you take the weight off the wheels, will the frame bend or torque?

The safest way to level a trailer side to side is with leveling blocks or wood pieces under the low wheels. Once it is level side to side, level it front to back with the front legs (5ver) or front jack (TT, or so I think never having tried one). Then use the scissor jacks to stabilize. I use the 'kick' test to see if it is down far enough; I lower it only far enough that a moderate kick doesn't cause it to move.

Don't forget to chock them wheels; a well designed trailer chocked on 2 or 4 wheels and stabilized at 3 or 4 points is not going to move on you. Some people also add a 'king pin' stabilizer with a 5ver, but I've yet to have the need to do so.

Kirk

Leveling jacks

quote: a question about leveling jacks. I have seen stabalizers
The key here is that while motorhomes have leveling jacks that are designed to level the vehicle, the ones for a trailer are not leveling jacks, but stabilizers. I am told that the reason no leveling jacks are made for or installed on any trailer is that the trailer frame is designed to flex and is not stiff enough to level with. I am not an engineer, so do not know if that is true, but the point is that on a trailer you can have stabilizers that are designed to minimize movement of the trailer once parked and level. But they are not intended to lift the trailer and you should not do so.