leveling

paws43tails

because i'm new to rving this question is legitimate, although it might sound elementary... when leveling a 5th wheel, i understand how to level with the front and rear jacks, what i don't know how to do is get the leveling material under the wheels for the side to side leveling... do you stratigically place them and try to drive onto them or do you jack the camper up high enough that you can side the device under the wheel? (does it jack up that high?) we've not made our maiden voyage yet, and we've had the rv since mid july... so intimadating!

DL Rupper

leveling

Hey paws43tails, I use 2x6 and 2x8 boards and drive on to them. Sometimes one board will work, every once in a while a really unlevel site will require 2 boards on top of each other. Some RV'ers use RV Levelers (interlocking polypropylene square blocks) that you can purchase at RV parts/supply stores. A large calibrated level mounted on the front of your 5W helps.

Grandview Trailer Sa

leveling

Don't think your question is rare. A lot of our first time customers ask similar questions. DL is correct, most folks use wood under the tires that you drive onto before you unhook. You need to pick an area in the trailer that want to use as a reference point with your level unless you mount one on the coach. I use right inside the doorway. Use what you need under tires to get level, unhook, and use the front jacks to get level front to rear. Drop your stabilizer jacks, chock your wheels and you are good to go. My wife and I can have the awning out in about 15 mins.

hertig

leveling

Most trailers seem to come with a side to side level (on front and/or rear) and front to back level (near the front jack switch or crank hole). These are generally not the best, and can be augmented by better aftermarket levels. Whichever you use, should indicate 'inches from level'.

Chunks of wood are cheap and work well, however unless you have a good collection of various thicknesses, you may not be able to get as level as you might like. The interlocking plastic blocks are a bit more precise, lighter and easier to use (except on gravel, where they can break)

the_vfox

leveling

We use the wood also, I use two by 10 cut down to exacly one inch. I just count the ticks on the bubble and i know how many to use ;) 1 tick on my rig equals an inch on my bubble level.

:cool:

SnowbirdInFlight

leveling

We use the plasic ones we got from Wal-Mart and have had them for about four years now and they are still all intact. They work great for us.

RR614

leveling

I have what you call couch potato levelers (need a patten) its a series of precise cut wood 1 by 2s,2 by 6s, and 4 by 4s stapled to a rubber mat. Drive up to level, drive over when done. easy stuff. :laugh:

RR614

leveling

Nope, I will be making a dozen or so for Quartzite AZ. I did take pictures of them put them in an envelope and mailed it to myself and never opened the envelope. This somewhat protects me. Lawyer fees cost way too much for the research of the patten. :dead:

turnipbwc

leveling

RR614,
How does taking pictures and mailing them to yourself protect you ?
and protect you from what/who ?

hertig

leveling

turnip42, mailing to yourself in a sealed envelope establishes 'date of design' in case there is ever a question of who thought up an idea first. I think it is considered proof of copyright, but its not clear it would provide any protection in this case, since it does not provide any patent protection. It probably would only be of use mainly if a patent was applied for by RR and someone else about the same time.

TexasClodhopper

leveling

Ah, don't worry about patents! Some guy from China is already building these out of bamboo shoots and briar bark based on your original description! And, he even has 12 LED's on the side that run off of 4 AA alkaline batteries (68 hours continuous life). Pick them up at WalMart next week in the automotive department. $19.95

SnowbirdInFlight

leveling

quote:Ah, don't worry about patents! Some guy from China is already building these out of bamboo shoots and briar bark based on your original description! And, he even has 12 LED's on the side that run off of 4 AA alkaline batteries (68 hours continuous life). Pick them up at WalMart next week in the automotive department. $19.95

Are you joking or serious, lol. If you're serious I might make a run to Wally World tomorrow! ;)

RR614

leveling

****, I hope clodhopper is kidding!! If he isn't its back to the drawing board. If so, I'll make'em to help other campers. They are so cool and easy to level any rig with. :cool: RR614

DL Rupper

leveling

Planks and blocks, only way to go. Think of all the exercise you get dragging them out of your truck. Next thing you know they will start sticking those hydraulic levelers on 5ers and TTs, taking all the fun away :dead: