Lg Bed vs. Short bed

Has anyone used the 5th wheel hitch that can slide 9" so that it cn be used on short bed pick-up? My wife really doesn't like the lenght of long bed trucks and would rather have a short bed, however, I'm concerned about towing a fifth wheel with a short bed. Thanks

C Nash

Lg Bed vs. Short bed

Hello Kendall,
I have towed a 28 ft 5th wheel with the short bed and slider hitch w/out any problem but, I don't like short wheel base vehicles for towing. If you are going to use the s/bed a slider is a must IMO. You may not need to use it but one time and then it's worth the extra price. What length and weight are you going to be towing? The short wheelbase tow vehicles tend to buck more going down the roads. I never had a problem with any sway. Have a long bed dually now and would never go back. Stopping and overall ride is much better. I had rather have overkill on my tow truck. All JMO

Chelse L. Nash
fulltimer03@yahoo.com

Gary B

Lg Bed vs. Short bed

Hi Kendall, have to agree whole heartly with Chelse, many people tow with short beds and have no problems, but the long beds with the longer wheel base ride better etc. When we had our 5th wheel we towed with a Ford F-350 long bed supercab, and as Chelse won't have anything less, still have the truck, have a slide-in camper on it now. Good luck in your search and Happy trails GB :)

joy

Lg Bed vs. Short bed

We absolutely agree - long bed is much better. Have towed with both and found the long bed easier to park, nicer & smoother pulling plus there is no need for the extending pin since you will NOT hit the trailer with the truck cab (also something we have done with the short bed!) We now pull a 32' 5ver with a Ford F3500 Laredo crew cab dually and love it!

joy

Grandview Trailer Sa

Back to the poster, I also agree with the other answers. Long bed is by far the best. Yes we install a lot of slider hitches in short bed trucks, but personally I like the long better. You have to remember that MORE THAN 1/2 the job of towing a trailer is the ability to STOP it. Anything with a big enough engine can pull it down the road, but you have to have control all the time. Long wheelbases give you much more control of the whole rig. Nothing scares me more than to see an extended cab short bed pulling a 40' monster behind it!!!