looking at a Skamper AWF on a 1976 Dodge Chasis

jmt1972

I have found a great deal but do not know if it is worth it? Is a website for the way they built these campers on that has a damaged roof and it has effected the inside framing? And curious if the outside panels can be taken off and put back on?

elkhartjim

Re: looking at a Skamper AWF on a 1976 Dodge Chasis

First, it was AMF Skamper. They also owned Harley Davidson at the time.

My first MH was a 75 Skamper. Had to send it back to the factory because the walls delaminated and it was never right. The walls are 2" x 2" wooden studs.

If you can get it for a couple hundred dollars and be willing to invest (?) several more thousand...you might have a usable rv. To answer your question...the outside panels can be taken off and put back on. You will have to take it apart completely to do any major repairs. On second thought...ask what they will pay you to take it off their hands.

TexasClodhopper

James, Welcome to the Forum!

You have to ask yourself which you like more, camping or rebuilding RVs.

rjf7g

jmt1972-
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Tex - do you want to rebuild a camper or use a camper?

jmt1972

RE: looking at a Skamper AWF on a 1976 Dodge Chasis

Well they said they would take 300.00 for it and they motohome only has 65,000 miles on it it had just been repainted and redone inside in 1998. I do woodworking and have been thinking of finding a smaller one tow behind but a friend located this one and I started thinking. Even if it is to far to be fixed I thought all the saved items must be worth 300.00.

elkhartjim

Saved for what? You're gonna use almost 35 year old "parts" in what. Buy it...part it out on E Bay for maybe $50...if the price of scrap metal holds,