Looking for a Class C on a truck chassis...

pkajtna

Presently, we have a Dodge van outfitted with cabinets and seat/bed from Sportsmobile. We mostly sleep and shower at truck stops when travelling.

We would like to go to a Class C next. We have gone to RV shows, dealers, factories, and searched the Web. All manufacturers seem to use the van chassis. Do you know any brand that uses a cab that is larger than the van; say like the Ford F series chassis with a cab size like that of a standard pickup truck?

hertig

A class C is by definition a full sized 'house' on a van chassis. The only exceptions I know about are the ones built on a Toyota (mini) pickup frame/cab. If these don't do it for you, check out the class A's or possibly a wide-body class B.

I'm not sure that there is any benefit to using a pickup chassis, as it will detract significantly from the room you have for any particular length of motor home.

Ed H.

There is a company ( I think it's Scottie) that builds class C type motorhomes on Dodge Dakota & Ram chassis. I believe the chassis can be had with any Dodge drivetrain (gas, diesel, 2WD, 4WD). The Dodge dealer in Hudson, NY always has a few on his lot.
I have seen some on Ford F-250s, but not a new one in a long time.

on edit, I just read smallcamper's post. There are probably a few others out there too.

C Nash

I thought most all c class rvs were built on the 1 ton truck chassic or do I have my C and B class mixed up again. Brain drain again

hertig

Chelse, Class C is built on a van chassis, with a van cab. Class B is a van body which has been converted.

I don't know why more people don't use a pickup cab/chassis for a class C, except that the longer cab would take away from your RV space for any particular overall length. Looking at the Xplorer (link above) looks like that does not have to be that much of a problem...

C Nash

Thanks John,
All I would have had to do was look at the cab and would have known it was a van :blush: The B & C class just never fit our needs so haven't paid much attention to them.