looking for emergency flashers

jkill2001

i saw one time a flasher that u can plug the 7 pin cord into and flashes the lights on a trailer so u don't have to have the tow vehicle giving it power. has anyone seen this and if so please provide a website with information. btw it would have to be able to use without having a battery on the trailer.

jkill2001

i thought i explained it good enought. it is a device that u plug into your trailer's 7 pin plug so u don't have to have ur tow vehicle's flashers on if ur broken down. understand?

jkill2001

they don't make any self powered units like this? then what are people with a car trailer or other type of trailer supposed to do?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Self powered? Sorry but that sounds like a battery to me. Why don't you just use a tow vehicle that can flash or operate the lights?

I saw, as a joke one time, a flasher put into the trailer plug between the marker lights and charge pins. The owner was not amused.

jkill2001

well main reason im looking for these is if i break down on the side of the road i don't have to drain the battery in my tow vehicle just to keep the flashers running the trailer

Krazeehorse

It would be fairly simple to build. I would use one of the jump start packs for my power supply. Build your flasher assembly with a cigar lighter plug on the input side and your trailer jack on the output side. Just plug it into the lighter socket on the jumper pack and you have your flashers. :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Yes that would work, but in reality, if your battery was charged, it would take a LONG time to drain a battery to the point it would not start your truck. You can also start your truck every now and then to keep a charge.

C Nash

Install a battery in you trailer and you can run interior lights and also hook up for flashers. Keep it charged from your tow vehicle but like GTS said it would take a long time to pull a good battery down just using the flashers.

TexasClodhopper

Back to my original comment ... Huh? Ya know, sometimes maybe we try to save TOO much!

However, I bet jkill2001 is NOT crazy. I bet there is someone out there that builds such a device. I know I could.

Now I just thought of where it would be useful: when you have to drive off and leave your trailer on the side of the road! Like if you have to go get a new tire or something. Maybe not an RV trailer, but a utility trailer.

Yeah ... sounds like a product to me.

jkill2001

commenting on the comment cnash said there is no way to keep the battery charged on my trailer since there isn't any wires going to a battery right now. how would i be able to do that cause if i can wire to recharge a battery then i can also get the electric tongue jack i wanna get

C Nash

Very simple to run a wire back that will recharge the trailer battery jkill. Just connect it in the light hook up at the rear of the tow vehicle. You will need to have the seven prong hookup. I assume you are talking about the enclosed trailer you use to haul your show truck. The in trailer battery also works well to have the clearance lights hooked to also because on a lot of vehicles the truck or MH lights won't carry the extra load.

jkill2001

is there a way to hook a wire up on the trailer to the power wire that powers the interior lights in the trailer when its hooked up?

hertig

I've got this neat little strobe light, runs on 2 AA batteries, comes with clear, red, yellow, blue (and perhaps other) lenses, and a magnet, suction cup and belt loop.

As to a battery on the trailer, what operates the brakes? Most trailers with electric brakes have a battery, and with the 7 pin cable, a charge circuit from the tow vehicle. If too much trouble to add, you could put a solar panel on the trailer to keep it charged.

If you do run a wire to charge a battery/run a tounge jack, make sure it is heavy enough guage to handle the load.

jkill2001

well where normally is the battery for the electric brakes? is it a small black or different color box. i do know where that is but its not a normal battery if thats what ur referring to

C Nash

Jkill, it's really simple to install a regular 12 v battery and take the clearance wire (normlly brown)that is in the trailer hooke up and just reverse it through a togglee switch but you would only want to do this if the light load was to much for the headlight circuit. Is this trailer your enclosed trailer? Use a 10 guage wire with fuse from the tow vehicle for charging. There probably is a device to just plug in the trailer pigtail but you will have to have a battery in the trailer. Look on the postive side and just don't brake down :approve:

jkill2001

"Look on the postive side and just don't brake down" already happened once and thats hopefully the last time. yes it is the enclosed trailer i have. diagrams work wonders if someone could write up a diagram