looking for your best RV stories

hammerling

Hi, everyone -
I've been enjoying reading your posts. I'm working on an article for a new magazine about RV'ing, and I would love to hear your favorite tips and stories from the road -- can be funny, strange, anything that really stands out in your mind! We would want to include your name and the city/state you hail from, and if we feature your story, we'll send you a free copy of the magazine when it comes out.
Thanks so much, I look forward to hearing from you!
Best,
Nina
-------------------------------------
Nina Hämmerling Smith
Senior Editor
John Brown Publishing
nina.hammerling@johnbrownpublishing.com

carolyn30204

My husband and I were towing a 30' travel trailer around Fayetteville, NC. He said "Am I supposed to turn left at the next intersection?" I replied, "Right". He said, "Turn left?" I said, "Right." He got to the intersection and turned right. I screamed, "What are you doing?" He said, "You told me to turn right!" You haven't lived until you tow a 30' travel trailer through downtown Fayetteville trying to find a way out! As you can imagine I no longer reply "right". It is now "that is correct". Helps save the marriage, don't you know??

kitfoxjh

Nina, While on our way to a campground in SC last summer we stayed in a campground overnight on our way. The next morning we prepaired for the rest of the journey. As we are traveling south on I-95 there was talk about someone's antennae being up. You can't imagine how embarrased I was when we were at the campground setting up and the moment I realized it was our TV antennae extended to the max. It never registered in my mind when all those people were talking about it on the interstate.

kitfoxjh

Nina, I'm sorry, but forgot to mention that the talk where I was hearing about the antennae being up was on the CB radio which I was monitoring.

we-wants-it

Hi Nina, While my wife and I were on a trip with her sister and husband (Kathy and Mike)this strange thing happened: Mike and I had matching Ford pickups, same everything but color. We pulled over to stretch our legs. Mike locked his keys in his truck and then we see Kathy's purse (with her keys) lying on the seat. We were 50+ miles from town. After scratching our heads for a while I tried my truck key to no avail. Becky, (my wife) said to try her key. Now, Becky's key is for my truck also - but - it worked and opened their truck. The interesting point is - the next day we tried Becky's key again but it would not unlock their truck. Good luck with your story gathering.

Deric

Hey Nina, I bought a Wilderness 27.5' Fifthwheel about 1.5 years ago, and made several trips all within 200 miles of home, with no problems. However on one of our trips last winter, I blew out a tire, and had to change it with an 8" Crescent wrench, I now have a lug wrench in my truck. Anyway when I got to the nearest Les Schwab I bought a new tire to replace the one that blew out. The store manager there said that according to the DOT # the tires were the original tires from 93, and said that even though they looked good, (mine looked 3/4 good in the tread) they were just a time bomb waiting to explode. It seems that because of age and sitting the majority of the time, they dry rot from the inside out. When I got home I started an account with Les Schwab and got the other three changed out. There is quite a piece of mind knowing that I have new tires on. Just a side note: My Dodge pickup that I bought 2 years ago, had been outfitted with oversize tires on new alloy rims, while they looked nice and have held up fine (33X 12.5) I discovered that the stock lug wrence that came with the truck was not going to help me if I got a flat on the truck or the trailer, since the lug nuts on after market wheel tend to be smaller than stock. I have since put in the cab a large heavy duty 4-way lug wrench.

rlmurraysr59

Got a few for you. When my wife and I first started camping we towed a 24' Starcraft TT. I use to plan things to surprise her on weekend trips. One such trip was to a Strawberry Festival in a small town in Michigan. When we got to the campground it was almost midnight. I had to back the trailer down a long narrow road to get it into the last campsite available. My wife worked on a high stress job at a large hospital and these trips were meant to get her away from stress. She always had trouble getting to sleep on the first night out and the long drive had made her a little irritable.

I finally got things set up and we climbed into bed. She was laying there a few minutes when she said, "Listen to that racket. Someone is still playing loud music at this hour." I listened for a while and said, "What loud music?" She gave me that "you must be deaf look" and said, "Can't you hear the drum beats?" I started laughing which even made her more upset. "Whats so funny?" she said. "That's not music and drumbeats, we're parked next to a pond. Those are bull frogs." I have never let her live it down.

Then we were on a trip to the Smokey Mountains and stopped in an overnight campground in Erlanger, Kentucky. It was dark and I drove around through the campground looking for a site. I backed into it and hooked up the electric and water without disconnecting the truck. We climbed into bed, both of us exhausted. We lay there discussing the days events and our plans for our vacation and a train whistle sounded in the distance. My wife said, "Oh, no, I hope we don't have to listen to trains all night." I said, "It will be okay, honey, it sounds like it is a long way from here."

Guess what? We lay there about 10 minutes and the trailer started to shake and you could hear this rumble grow louder and louder and suddenly the train whistle blew again. Only this time it was only about a few hundred feet from the campground. The trailer continued to shake and I once again started laughing. When I got up the next morning to leave I found that the train tracks were seperated from our campsite by a line of trees and about 30 ft. She has never forgiven me for that experience either.

We went to a Bluegrass Festival in West Virginia and were headed back up to hit the Pennsylvania Turnpike. My gas tank was getting low and my wife kept looking at it and saying, "You better stop and get gas!" In my usual male role I kept assuring her that we had plenty to make it to the Bridgeport Exit on the Turnpike. As we climbed the last hill going up to the exit area the truck started lurching and acting like it was going to stall. I crested the hill and the truck died. I put it in neutral and coasted down the other side and into a gas station stopping next to the pumps. "See, I said," in my best dominant male voice, "I told you we would get to a gas station." That one has livened up some conversations around campfires too.

Last story. When I camp I like to get out and walk around to talk to the other people in the campgrounds. I have met a lot of interesting people from many different walks of life. Including a man who served with my brother in Vietnam. Small world. But one of the funniest encounters was with two people who traveled with two large cats. I have a small dog that loves to travel with us but not to many people travel with two cats. Or at least I didn't think so. I was at a campground in Maryland and noticed this couple sitting outside under the awning. On the carpet they had on the ground were two cats. I walked up and exchanged the usual pleasantries, where you from, where you going, have you had a great trip, is there anything interesting we should plan on seeing, etc.

I noticed these two cats sitting near them. I asked them what the cats names were. "One Brick and Two Bricks." were their replies. "How did you come up with those names," I asked. "Just watch them for a while." she said. The one cat named "Two Bricks" stood up and started to walk toward me. His leash was fastened to two red bricks. The other one was fastened to one red brick. She said that "Two Bricks" would run off if they only tied one brick to him so they named him Two Bricks. And it only seemed appropriate to name the female, One Brick.

Hope you enjoy my little stories.

hammerling

These are all so great! Thanks everyone. Keep those stories coming! Best, Nina

squirt

Hi, this isn't necessarily an RV story, although it does involve an RV. You can decide. Also, it is long.

In 1992, my husband and I and our 3 dogs went camping outside Tres Ritos, NM in a 1969 Starcraft Pop-up (driving up from Dallas). I had told him to put the dogs' leads right inside the door so that I could secure the dogs as soon as we got to the campsite and BEFORE setting up the camper. Sure enough, we got there and he hadn't done it and we had a big fight about it. Our two older dogs, Cecil and Zipper, were out wandering around and we figured they were okay. My husband unhooked the trailer and asked me to pull the pickup forward about 4 feet. I did and heard wailing sounds. I thought I had run over a child. Nope, I had run over Squirt (thus the screen name), our 3 month old puppy, who had curled up under the pickup tire. I jumped out of the truck (after putting it in what would have been "Park" on my car, but was actually "neutral"), and my husband is screaming at me to get back in and put on the brakes as the truck rolled into a log. Now, we are on the mountain in the middle of nowhere on Saturday night, closing in on 5:00. We got the puppy up, wrapped her in towels, put the other two dogs in the back of the pickup, and raced down the mountain to find a phone. We happened upon one in Tres Ritos and called into Taos and found a vet who was getting ready to close but said he would wait for us. We flew down the mountain and made it into Taos (think Tourist) just in time for the 6:00 rush hour, and of course, the vet was on the far side. The puppy's pelvis was broken and one hip was dislocated. Had her head been under the tire instead of her bottom, we would have lost her. As it was, as young as she was, her bones moved and he thought he could fix her up.

So, we leave the puppy at the vet (think $$$) and go into Taos to get something to eat. While eating we realized we had forgotten our lawn chairs so we checked 3 places (in July) and none of them had lawn chairs. Back up the mountain we went and got to our camp about 10:00. My husband started putting the pop-up out and leveling it and all that since we had just left it chocked. I took the other dogs for a walk since he was in no mood for company. Next morning, Sunday, we were supposed to call the vet to check on the puppy. He recommended putting a pin in her hip, but we said no, she was too young and we'd call back later after he checked with his more experienced vet. Back up to camp we went, spending most of the day moping about sitting on logs. Went down later and called and the older vet said no pin so we could pick her up on Monday.

We had planned to go to Chama to ride the train on Tuesday, so we couldn't take the puppy with us, so we left her boarded at the vet on Monday after we checked on her. We drove over the mountain to Chama and found a beautiful campground and while we were driving around, one of the wheels on the pop-up came off. Ka-THUNK! The lug nuts were stripped so the thing had just vibrated loose. We scavenged enough lug nuts from the other tire and the spare to get the tire back on and limp into a campground. The next day, we left our dogs in camp (no problem there) and rode the train. It rained on the way back, the roof leaked, but only over the seat we were in. We get back to Chama (pop 1200) about 4:30 and have to find lug nuts. We also found lawn chairs. Up to the campsite, finally, after getting some supper because we were too tired to cook or even light a fire. Got to the camper and found some of the canvas torn, which had to be repaired before we went to bed because it was raining.

Next morning, Wednesday, we head back down the mountain to Taos to pick up Squirt. we pull in, expecting a huge vet bill and were pleasantly surprised that it was only $300. Her hip was bandaged up tight and she was walking on 3 legs, but she was walking. About the time we left the vet to get some lunch, the brake light came on in the pickup (which we had just had new brakes put on). We had to find a mechanic in Taos to have that checked. While we were waiting, we took the dogs with us across the street to Lott-a-Burger and had lunch. We get the truck back and they haven't found anything wrong with it except now the check engine light was on. We had them check it out again and they found a screw or something that wasn't quite right, so at least that was minor. Back up the mountain we went. We finally got a fire going that night and had some place to sit but we were pretty worn out.

Next day, Thursday, we just laid around the campsite and tried to get in some relaxation. Our oldest dog, Cecil, was chasing chipmunks and my husband was chunking rocks at them. You guessed it, he hit Cecil with a rock, just above the eye, tore it open and it bled. We went down to Chama to have a vet see if it needed stitches - NO vet. Do we go back to Taos or just leave it alone? We decided to wait a day and see how it was (after it stopped bleeding). We were out walking and came across some other campers, one of whom was a vet. He looked at the cut (gash) and said it looked okay and didn't need stitches.

Our plan was to drive to Amarillo on Saturday, unload the pop-up, put it in storage (it belongs to my father-in-law), and drive to Dallas on Sunday. Friday turned out cold and rainy so we said the hell with it and drove to Amarillo Friday evening. Pulling into Tucamcari, NM, we hear an odd thumping noise. One of the trailer tires was flat (not the one that had come off, the other one). We got out the spare and it was flat (we had checked it before we left). It was about 10:30 at night and we had to find a service station to get the flat fixed. We finally got to Amarillo early Saturday morning, slept in, took showers (we camp without water or electric hookups), cleaned out the trailer, and spent the evening with my in-laws. We drove home on Sunday, thinking all the way something bad would happen.

It was by far the worst vacation I have ever had. We hate going to (or even through) Taos and ended up there at least 4 times. We took the puppy to our vet 10 days after the accident to have the bandage taken off and he asked "did I put this bandage on? I can't remember doing it". He had to hear the whole story.

It didn't discourage us from camping, but it sure was one hell of a trip. We lost Cecil in 1999 to a rare disease and Zipper died of old age in 2002. We still have Squirt, who is now 13. I panicked when it happened and was scared to death I had killed the dog.

squirt

Oops, on my last post I said the canvas tore. I think that was in 1996 when we camped and it poured down rain all week but there was a burn ban anyway.

campbud

On our first out of state camping trip we went to Indiana. We had stopped to get gas and I thought that I would grab us our lunch out of the cooler which was in the back of the truck. We left the gas station and ate lunch while driving. We had gone maybe 5 miles down the road and had to stop at a stop light. Before stopping some lady had her window down telling us we were dragging something under the fifthwheel. My husband immediately turned into the nearest parking lot. At first look I thought we had lost our holding tank! Low and behold it was our cooler! Yep me wife and mom had forgot to shut the tail gate and the cooler came out and stuck under the fiver! Someone was watching out for us b/c the tailgate did not hit the trailer! So there was no damage there or under the fiver. The only damage was our cooler had a big hole in it and all our pop was gone! :blush: The dear hubby and kids have never let me forget this either..I think somewhere in our book of our vacation that year is a picture of a battered cooler! :laugh:

rking

My wife and I had purchased a toy hauler to haul our motorcycle to rallies and keep the cost of staying at Hotels( that seem to raise their prices every time there is a Rally in their city)anyway we had never owned one before so we loaded what we thought we might need. We get to the RV park and I forgot the water hose, The first night we were there it started raining, the RV park had cable hook up but we didn't have a TV in the RV yet. So needless to say we went to Wally world and purchased a portable TV and a water hose.
We have since made other trips with our RV and learn a little more of what is needed from veteren Rvrs. It's all about meeting new friends and seeing new places.

187 Wanderer Toy Hauler
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 Diesel Super Duty
2004 Road King Cassic
:laugh: