Looking to buy first Motor Home

kitfoxjh

I am in the process of selling a small 5th wheel and buying a MH. I have been looking at used ones on net sites for about 6 months. I sort of want a Class A, but not totally sure if a C would work for us also. Is there a lot of difference in maintenance costs. I would think that a 460 or 454 engine in either would be about the same to maintain, but what about tires, etc. All this is assuming we can get all the same perks we want, in a used unit of either type.
What is the difference in siding, (31 and over or 31 and under). Have seen that mentioned in a few ads. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks... :question:

Gary B

Hi kiotfoxjh, the maint. cost would run about the same, unless your looking to go over 30' a Class C is very comperable to the Class A, so it becomes a personal choice of which you like. 16" tires are less money then the 19.5' tires, and on 30' or smaller rigs makes no difference, the 19.5' tires have a higher load carrying cap. The main siding differences are Alum. or fiberglass, Alum can be either be fastened via nailing/staples, riveted, or bonded/glueed, Fiberglass comes in two types of finishes, gelcoat a very smooth plastic finish usually the color is in the gelcoat, the other finish being filon, fiberglass is bonded or vacuum bonded for the most part. One thing to check most Chevy chassis prior to the mid-90's only have the 350 CID engine, which is not enough engine in a MH over 23 / 24'. Good luck in your search.
PS does kitfox refer to the kitplane?
:) :cool:

kitfoxjh

Gary B, Thanks. I'm thinking about something like a Fleetwood Bounder (or similar) around 32 to 34'in an A or a C somewhere around 27 to 31'. Yes the Kitfox is a kit airplane I'm trying to sell to get the MH. My second one.

Gary B

Hi kitfox, I have and fly a Kitfox III, have about 200 hrs on mine, really like it for local cheap flying. We have a 94 Bounder 34J model, we really like it have had real good luck with it, its on the Ford chassis, 460 engine runs great plenty of power for me, get about 7 mpg towing a 1990 Mazda B2200. One thing I really like is the dual pane windows (standard on the 94 & up Bounders)good luck in the search. :)

C Nash

Hi kitfoxjh,
Going to rv shows and looking all them over will help in deciding a or c class. Check the floorplans and see which better suits your needs. Be sure to check the carrying weights to determine if it fits what you will be loading. Check you local want adds and go look at them all, great way to spend weekends. We even had a local dealer tells us he was going to start charging us to look :laugh: ! All have their advantages. If you don't like driving the larger units a c class may be better but, the a has not been a problem for me and I like the heavier chassis, brakes etc. The fiberglass siding probably insulates better than the alum but alum is lighter. The fiberglass sides have had some problems with declamation in the past but, the newer units are not as bad. I had a 2ooo fifth wheel that had a problem with this. :disapprove: Alum dents and fiberglass tends to crack. Gelcoat is a little more costly tham filon but, has a much better apperance IMO. Good luck

kitfoxjh

I wish my budget could allow me to keep my airplane and buy a MH, but I can't have both. My wife doesn't really like flying that much and too much invested in plane sitting around. She will enjoy a MH more. I also have a small 2000 Coachmen 5th wheel which I'm selling also. We really like it but are ready for the upgrade. It has alum. siding and I don't care for how easily it dents. I really like the Bounder 34J and am sort of steered in that direction. Going to an RV show tomorrow to try and finally decide between an A or C. In the C, the upper bunk would be a waste for us, so it would have to have the entertainment center.
My other thought is wether or not a C would be easier for my wife to drive than an A. I have seen a lot of women driving A's, so I don't think it's a large issue.

ralphie

Kitfox,

The Bounder 34J has a very nice floorplan. Try for a '96 or newer to get a wide-body. I would think not much difference in 454/460 re maintenance. The P30 chassis seems to have some quirks; airbag problems, etc. that the Ford doesn't have, but the P30 does have the larger wheels. Probably personal choice there. Class A's Fords are easier to work on from the sides than Class C's. 460 Class C sparkplug changes are a nightmare. Class C's generally sleep more than Class A's; good if you still have kids.

If your spouse would be comfortable driving a van, a Class C is just slightly more intimidating. Going to a Class A seems to cause problems for some folks. It took me a few hours to get comfortable when I upgraded, but now I don't really notice the size differences. My spouse recently unhooked our 36 footer, drove around a CG, backed up, and hooked back up. She may try to drive out on the road, soon.

kitfoxjh

Ralfie,
Thanks for your input. Those types of things are what I'm looking for. Went to an RV show yesterday and told my wife to try and keep an open mind when looking at Class C's. We both prefer the A's. Our budget will probably put us in somewhere around '96 to '99, depending on models. Really don't have a preference regarding 460 vs. 454, but have been told the Triton V-10 is underpowered for A's.
The MH will be for just us and our dog. Our kids are grown and have kids.
Generally, I do all the driving, but think it would be nice on longer trips to be able to have her drive. At least on Interstates and allow me to get rested. Thanks for your input. All advice is helpful. :)

tucbigdog

kitfox,

We have had two class a mhm with the ford triton v-10
For a gas engine it cant be beat.
We now have a newmar 38'witha v-10 & it drives great, plenty of power and towing cap.
GO FOR IT!!! :cool:

ralphie

Kitfox,

A little follow-up on the V10. Around '99, the V10 came with 275hp. It was upgraded shortly thereafter to 310hp, or so. If you are looking at a '99 or newer Class A Ford chassis, you can determine the engine hp from the VIN. I believe the 275 version is designated by a "X", and the 310 with an "Y". You can verify this with a VIN decoder obtainable online, or from a Ford dealer. I would think that the 275hp version on a long MH would be a little underpowered, but keep in mind that performance upgrades can be had for a price.

kitfoxjh

I still haven't heard from anyone regarding the difference in fiberglass siding. I have seen ads that say fiberglaas siding 30' and under for MH's under 30' and; fiberglass siding 30' and over for MH's over 30'. Is it some sort of cutoff point in thickness or what that would make it different? Still searching the ads. John H...

np551

Kitfox,
I highly recommend you go to rv,org, home of the RV Consumers Group and buy some really good information about the relative merits of various makes and models. You'll be amazed at what you learn and it will be at odds with much of what you hear here.

Good luck,
np551