Lost Recipe ..HELP

John Harrelson

I need you folk’s help… I lost my recipe for homemade Salami..

For years I had a recipe for making Salami from hamburger.

I recall that it was hamburger, whole pepper corns, mustard seeds, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce and “coarse” salt.. And maybe something else,,, can’t remember, darn it !!

Most important is, I can’t remember the proper amounts of each … especially the coarse salt… I remember that it was critical to get the correct amount of salt or the salami would taste ugly..

The finished mixture was formed into 12” long “logs” roughly the diameter of a half dollar and then wrapped tightly in cheese cloth.

The logs were placed directly on the oven’s wire rack with a cookie sheet on the bottom rack to catch the drippings.. The oven is set at about -/+ 200 degrees and the oven door is propped open about two inches with a pot lid (or whatever), so the moisture could escape as the salami dried out.. Took about two or three hours.. I think..

BUT I’M NOT SURE …!!! I loved that salami with cheezit crackers and a cold beer..

Can anyone help me ??? Have any of you ever heard of this recipe ? If so would you mind sharing it ?

Thanks,
John

John Harrelson

Lost Recipe ..HELP

Thanks to everyone, I now have over a dozen different recipes for Hamburger Salami and one of them is the exact recipe that I have been looking for.. :bleh:

For you folks that like to try different things,, TRY IT, YOU’LL LIKE IT

I used to make ten or twelve rolls of it during the winter and they would keep all year long in the freezer..

It is excellent with thin slices of “Rat Cheese” and an ice cold Miller Light..

as Andy Griffen would say .. "ummmm, ummmmm, gooood"

Thanks again everyone, I knew you would come through..

John

John Harrelson

Lost Recipe ..HELP

Overnight I have recieved several request from my friends on just about every RV forum asking which recipe was the one I was searching for.. So I came back to post it for you folks.. I hope you will take the time to try it.. its really very good and very simple to make..

This is the basic recipe. But the preparation is a little different.

I simply mix everything together, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day when I get home from work, I roll it into "logs" about 10/12 inches long and the size of a 50 cent piece.

Then wrap the rolls in cheesecloth and place directly on oven rack. The oven is set at about 200/250 degrees and a drip pan is placed under the rolls on the bottom rack to catch the drippings.

It takes about 3 to 4 hours to dry and the rolls will shrink from the size of a 50 cent piece to the size of a quarter.

The difference is I have never used aluminum foil until AFTER it is cooked and then I wrap the salami rolls in foil and freeze.

And I never use any alcohol based liquid like wine or beer in any recipe.

2 cup Water
5 lb Ground beef
3 tsp Onion powder
5 Tbsp Tender Quick meat curing salt
2 Tbsp Liquid smoke flavoring
2 tsp Garlic powder
3 tsp Mustard seed
3 tsp Whole pepper corns pepper

Its fantastic for snacking and it travels well also. Many times I have taken it on long road trips with a box of "Cheezits" crackers.

Poppa

Lost Recipe ..HELP

Well big boy here is another one

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ground Beef Salami

Recipe By : Iris Dunaway
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups water
5 pounds ground beef
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
5 tablespoons Tender Quick meat curing salt
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Combine water, liquid smoke and spices. Add beef. Mix well with hands.
Divide mixture into 3 long rolls. Wrap each roll separately in heavy
duty foil. Fold foil tightly closed down center and on ends.
Refrigerate rolls 24 hours. With a fork make holes through foil about
one inch apart on bottom of rolls (opposite fold). Place rolls on rack
of broiler pan (the hole pierced part on the underneath). Place hot
water in the shallow pan of the broiler. Bake rolls on center oven shelf
at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove foil. Salami will be a
fairly bright pink on both the outside and inside. Set rolls on rack to
drain and cool. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap. Taste improves with
storage. Store in refrigerator up to 10 days. Store in freezer about
one month.