Loud Hot Water Heater

ARCHER

My neighbor's hot water tank is the loudest one I have ever heard. It is electronic ignition style (Atwood I think). He adjusted the air flow sliding the cover almost closed. It quieted down some but the flame is now really yellow. To get a good burning (blue) flame he has to open the air nearly all the way, but it sounds like a jet engine when set like that. He is going to clean the tube and then see if it helps, but if anyone has any suggestions please help. tks in advance

Krazeehorse

Loud Hot Water Heater

Turn up your TV. :laugh: Or how about attaching a length of tubing over the inlet, something like vinyl dryer duct perhaps. Play with the length until you get one that does not resonate. It shouldn't obstruct if the diameter is large enough. If it is long enough you can point it away from you and it will be even quieter.

C Nash

Loud Hot Water Heater

Archer,
That's what makes camping so great. Just move :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding know you are just trying to help your neighbor :approve: Not going to rile you again and make you pin that voodo doll. Is this a newer model rv?

ARCHER

Loud Hot Water Heater

Chelse, it is a 2003 model Coachman 5th wheel. Don't worry about the doll....left it at home for the winter so your safe for at least three more months.

jaycoman

Loud Hot Water Heater

quote:Originally posted by ARCHER

My neighbor's hot water tank is the loudest one I have ever heard. It is electronic ignition style (Atwood I think). He adjusted the air flow sliding the cover almost closed. It quieted down some but the flame is now really yellow. To get a good burning (blue) flame he has to open the air nearly all the way, but it sounds like a jet engine when set like that. He is going to clean the tube and then see if it helps, but if anyone has any suggestions please help. tks in advance

jaycoman

Loud Hot Water Heater

Prehaps your neighbor should check his burner tube--see if it has a was nest or spider web in it--this will greatly increase the noise, It should not be burning yellow--flame should be clean blue w/no impurities. One more thing he may check, is wash out the burner chamber--if it has been burning yellow, he will have a soot build up in there.

Hope this is of help--

Camper' Corner, Inc
quote:Originally posted by ARCHER

C Nash

Loud Hot Water Heater

Shadow, just the venom still in me :evil: . Guess I can start back ragging Archer for several months since he dont have his voodoo doll :evil: :evil:

Kirk

Loud Hot Water Heater

Adjusting the air/gas mix is a very bad idea. He is just causing it to burn poorly and it will soot up the flue, if not the side of the RV. It sounds to me like his gas pressure is probably too high. It should be 11" of water column at the inlet to the water heater. I'd bet it is significantly higher than that.

s.harrington

Loud Hot Water Heater

Your neighbor should check his alignment of the firetube and the orafice block. If it is not in an almost straight line it can be noisy. He should adjust the flame damper so that the flame is mostly blue with a tinge of yellow at the end. He can get that with little noise if it is adjusted and cleaned properly.