Low lifes that wash their sewer hose at water con.

Ken Powell

Thats whats great baout having a Doc and a pill salesman as a bud you get the gloves free. I have a 95 HR DP and what baffels me is they put the fresh water and the flush connector next to each other in the same compartment as the black/gray water connector :clown: :clown: :dead:

DAUNTIE

I WAS CAMPING WITH SOME FRIENDS AND THEY HAVE A CASSETTE TOILET. WHEN THEY EMPTIED IT, THEY STUCK THE WHOLE FAUCETT INSIDE THE NOZZLE TO FLUSH IT OUT. UGH!!! I WENT BACK WITH SOME CLOROX WIPES(DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM)TO CLEAN IT OFF. SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT THINK.ALSO I NEVER GO TO THE SWIMMING HOLE WITHOUT A SHOPPING BAG TO PICK UP TRASH PEOPLE LEAVE BEHIND. :cool:

John Harrelson

Another good example of something I said 40 plus years ago.

"No matter how beautiful a herd of horses may be, there is always a jackauss in it somewhere" :disapprove:

Russc

Thanks for the wake up call. Have been rving for years and cannot believe I have never thought of this. :eek:

C Nash

Thanks Browzin, very useful information that I was not aware of.

Kirk

Browzin
Thanks for that link! It is especially interesting since the mix that I had was more than 8 months old and yet still smells of chlorine. Just as a test, I sprayed some colored cloth with the mixture to see if it still bleaches out the color. I would think that would give some indication of it's usefullness?

I read the entire site and it seems to say that it degrades in quality at a somewhat linear rate. I know one thing. I will be making a new mix at a much more frequent interval! I'll return and report the result of the test in a few days.

Browzin

Kirk
I already tested what I had mixed up (4mos old) and it will still bleach colors, the interesting point is the fact that it doesn't do it as quickly. (I tried it with a fresh mix as well). So assuming that Clorox is being 100% honest about the break down rate; in order to use a old 50/50 mix for disinfecting you would have to leave it on the surface for an extended period of time in order to achive the same results that you would with a fresh mix of 50/50. For myself, from now on, I will just use a smaller spray bottle and make it more often.

zigzagrv

We Americans are probably the cleanest culture in the world, sometimes to the point of being obsessive. Having known many people from other countries, I can attest to this. Deliberately 'dirtying' something others will use, such as the water faucet, is stupid and/or selfish, an attitude which seems to be on the increase.

However, when we eat out, do we really know how clean the plate and utensils are that have been used by thousands of others, or the food we eat from those plates? How about the door handle on public restrooms? We know not everyone washes their hands after using the toilet. What about the motel rooms we may stay in occasionally? The list of contaminated places we come in contact with every day is endless. We take for granted those places and people we come in contact with are looking out for our well being. But are they really? When we see things like putting the sewer hose over the drinking water supply, disregarding the health and safety of the next RVers to use it, we are rightfully upset and disgusted. Unfortunately, there is still no known cure for stupidity. That being said,if everyone used a little Common Sense, (getting harder to find)it would make life a little better and cleaner for all of us.

Ron

rvlikens

quote:Originally posted by Gary B

Its a good idea to have a spray bottle of chlorine water mixture with to spray down your water connetion before hooking up as some low life may have stuck his sewer hose over it to wash the hose down! We came across this a cople of days ago, not having a spray bottle with we requested and got another site, all around the fresh water faucet was toilet paper and other signs, not nice! Happy trails GB :(

Edited by - Gary B on Oct 26 2001 8:32:04 PM

I'm sorta new to rv'ng (2 years now but outdoor camping with scouts for 8) but I thought cleaning potable drinking hoses, connections and containers with bleach was camping 101 stuff. I'm amazed at the people I see jump out after arriving and hooking up without cleaning the water supply device. If you have access to those cheap spong brushes, it works great to swab the inside and outside of your connections.

scooterman

Hello, New here, looking to buy a travel trailer, sure glad I read this, I'm a freak when it comes to germs, this is gross and I would probably not thought much about it but now thanks to everyone I have some good information, Need disposable gloves, fresh bleach mix, and cleaning stuff just in case, think when I do find an RV I'll make a care package, thanks again everyone. :blackeye:

gilohatfield

All of this information is great but there is a better product on the market. Quixtar (online shopping) Used to be AMWAY. Has a product call Pursue.
* Kills 20 different types of viruses, fungi, and bacteria (which can cause gastroenteritis, food poisoning, diarrhea, nausea, cramps, and vomiting) including: E. coli, Salmonella cholerasuis and S. schottmuelleri, Shigella dysenteriae, and Staphylococcus aureus
* Only household disinfectant recommended for sanitizing food contact surfaces that does not require rinsing or wipint therefore, it reduces the hazards of cross-contamination from surfaces.
* Certified Kosher (if you care) Shelve life is years which is not affected by bing mixed.

Downside is you need to have a members number to purchase the product. Not a big problem to find one or you can become one.

It is never good to play around with your health

wtpops

Hello here is my 20 cents figure mine is worth more. have been a water treatment plant operator for 17 years. Us chlorine for disifection of public water. bleach is a good disinfectant its about 5% chlorine, dont dilute it. If you do you will have to remix about every 24 hours. you loose strength. if you spray on hose bibs and hoses you will very rarely get a taste if you do just let water run will go away fast. one thing to remember cripto and gerdea are cists that are resistant to chlorine. revirse osmoses filter under sink best way to be safe

TexasClodhopper

The problem I see with Clorox is my brass fitting start corroding if I don't get them rinsed off.

SnowbirdInFlight

quote:wtpops Posted - Jun 30 2005 : 3:52:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello here is my 20 cents figure mine is worth more. have been a water treatment plant operator for 17 years. Us chlorine for disifection of public water. bleach is a good disinfectant its about 5% chlorine, dont dilute it. If you do you will have to remix about every 24 hours. you loose strength. if you spray on hose bibs and hoses you will very rarely get a taste if you do just let water run will go away fast. one thing to remember cripto and gerdea are cists that are resistant to chlorine. revirse osmoses filter under sink best way to be safe

Hey, what about just plain alcohol? Would that disinfect as well as bleach? Also like TexasClodhopper said will the bleach corrode the metal over a period of time, even if it IS rinsed off immediately?

DL Rupper

I use a spray bottle with 90% alcohol to spray the water taps before connecting the fresh water hose. Also spray the hose connections before and after use. I posted a similar topic (Filthy Sewer Hose) on the General Rv'ing forum before finding this one. Happy Camping :clown: :laugh:

janicenlarry

We use the clorox wipes. They maintain their disinfictant capability and are easy to use.
Besides the pigs who stick their hoses over the potable water spigot, recently saw one dump his tanks in a WalMart parking lot! Raised hell with him but he couldnt care less. Took his plate number and gave it to the store manager. Hope they hung him. :(

Tassiedevil

Boy oh boy,do we have alot to learn before we head off RVing in your beautiful country, we had no idea people could be so stupid or thoughtless, these people must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic, hope they're not Aussies!!!!!

hertig

It's the culture here. Nothing is ever my fault, it's the government's fault, or society's fault, or that guy's/company's fault, so I better sue; make me rich (or at least my lawyer).

If I have no responsibility for my actions, then I can do whatever I feel like or whatever is conveniant. I don't even have to think about what I'm doing, the lawyers will take care of everything.

Tassiedevil

Aussie's have just started to get the sueing mentality and I hate to say it guys I think we caught off America, we would see stories about people sueing for this and that especially medical mishaps ,being a theatre sister for 25 yrs I would hear from our surgeons who went to the US to train how scared they would be to a surgeon over there as people are so quick to sue. As you say people have to be responsible for there own stupidity but try learn from there mistakes. Do they have signs to remind these thoughtless people about what they should and should not do at the parks when it comes to water connections at the RV sites. Perhaps they should presume that everyone is stupid and need to be continually reminded.