Low sulphur diesel and bio diesel

darwinbene

On diesel pumps now there is a sticker posted about low sulphur fuel. How will this effect the older diesels? Will there be an additive we will have to use like when unleaded gas came out? Will the newer engines, made for lower sulphur, not run on the higher sulphur fuel?

Bio-desel, I am assuming, will be blended with the #1/#2 fuel. Will diesel engines continue to run with this blend. Blending fuel in the winter time is a common thing today. #1 fuel is more for warmer climates and the farther north #2 is blended to help thin out #1, is this correct? Esp. in the winter season. I am, also assuming with the newer models of diesel engines, 2000 and newer, all fuel systems have in-line heating capabilities. Is this correct?

With all the construction happening with alternitive fuels, our fuel supplys will undoubtedly, have these additives. How is all of this going to effect the older engines?

Thanks, Darwin

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Low sulphur diesel and bio diesel

Older engines will run just fine. The engines produced after Jan. 1, 2007 will have to use the new fuel and cannot use the fuel we use now. The older engines can run on both fuels.

Someone else will have to help you about Bio.

DL Rupper

Hey Darwin, I would recommend using an additive like Diesel Klean made by PowerService with the new ultra low diesel fuel. A lubricity additve is supposedly added by the Major Oil companies to the new diesel fuel, but you know how that goes. I have been using Diesel Klean for years and have been pleased with it. So far I have never had a fuel system problem. It also boosts the fuels Cetane rating. You can get Diesel Klean at Wal-Mart or most truck stops.
Just love the smell of diesel :bleh:

DCG

Darwin I talked at length with Cat Rep and we can run low sulfur but stay away from Bio. Also with low sulfur he recommended caring extra fuel filters as it has caused old sluge in tanks to clean up and plug filters. Good traveling