LP Gas issue

luukoutbelow

Hey guys,

Searched forum for similar issues but was unsuccessful. Father in law bought '95 class A. Really nice. We had the propane tank filled but when we tried to test the systems, nothing was recieving gas. Also we made sure the valve was open. Ive been full timing in a class c for 7 months so I tried everything I knew of. Also, there was no rushing air sound when we opened the valve or shut it. What is the best way to troubleshoot this at home and does anyone know of a way to fix this w/o taking it into a shop?

Thanks,
Hunter

Bush70

Re: LP Gas issue

Look for an electric valve by the tank. Some units have the propane dectector connected to a valve that shuts off the gas at the tank when it detects gas. If it turns out to be this you can either fix it or bypass it. They are not used alot anymore. If not you can VERY CAREFULLY crack the line at the tank, in a safe place with nothing running and no heat source, spray some leak dectect on it or listen and see if there is gas there. If OK then crack the line on the opposite side of the regulator and see if there is gas. My guess would be one of these. Good Luck and be carefull!!!

ARCHER

LP Leak detectors for a 95 should be somewhere in the inside part of the coach. Check inside for it. If nothing works on LP, my guess is either the LP leak detector is turned off or not working (you can check it by spraying something near it to see if the alarm sounds, or it is the regulator, but I doubt that in a 95 but who knows. I would not open the LP tank to test in a safe place. Anything could go wrong. Make sure your aux batteries are charged good, that is what runs your leak detector not shorepower. Let us know what you find.

Kirk

If the propane has been off long enough for all pressure to be vented from the lines there is a good chance that the problem is the "stop flow" valve which prevents a gas leak in an accident when a gas line is ruptured. It is a safety device and is required in all propane tanks. To overcome this problem, if that is the cause, just close the supply valve for a minute or two to let the valve fall open inside of the tank. After several minutes with it shut, crack the valve open the very least amount possible and as slowly as you can. That will allow the gas to enter the lines very slowly and to build up a back-pressure in the lines which is what keeps the "stop flow" valve open in normal use. Once you get the valve just open, let is sit for a minute, then open just a little more and so on, until you get the valve to where it is perhaps 1/2 turn open. At that point you should have gas pressure in the lines and you can open the valve as normal.

TexasClodhopper

Kirk, that's one of those tips that should go into the Classic Tip Archive. You may never need it, but when you do, you really do.

luukoutbelow

Guys thanks a lot for the input! As soon as I get back in town, I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help. Hunter

luukoutbelow

It turned out to be a leak just outside of the main shutoff valve at the tank. Easy fix that cost about $30 for the new part. Reset leak detector and wahlaaaa.

ARCHER

That is great. Gotta watch all those connections and tubing for leaks. I spray soapy water on all my lines at least twice a year or more often around the main connections, and I test my detector even more often. ;)