LP gas smell

cole

I may be just paranoid, but I get a whiff of propane when I open the LP bottle compartment on the right side of our 5th wheel(this side contains the switch over regulator). The left compartment also has a faint odor. Both compartments exhibit this even with the tanks turned off and the lines all bled. I have bubble soaped all joints and found nothing. I am not experiencing any excessive propane useage and have no smell of gas inside the unit. Could this be coming from the tank relief valves ?

C Nash

LP gas smell

Cole, I had a 2000 278 Cougar and had the same problem. Never did find any leak and I soaped every fitting and all lines. Finally decided it must be coming from the relief valve but never got any bubbles from there either. Finally forgot about the smell and it never gave any problem in the 3 year we owned it.

Frenchyk

LP gas smell

Just a thought: what was the weather when it happened? If it was warm then the relief is working as designed. But if it was cold you may have moisture in the relief valve causing it to leak slightly. We have the same problem with our LPG powered fleet vehicles. check and clean out the area of the relief valve you can use soap & water or a hose in warm weather or compressed air-- keep the air pressure under 30lbs--. DON'T use flamable chemicals to clean it!!!

C Nash

LP gas smell

Cole, I should have put more thought into this before saying I forgot the smell :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: . I did keep checking often in case there was a leak and never found anything. I would suggesting taking it back to the dealer and report the smell in case there was a problem :approve: . You could develop a leak and think, oh well, this is normal and then BOOM :eek: . Again DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE SMELL