LP Tank - Full?????

nagel

I have a 5ver with two 30# LP Tanks in the front compartment. It is such a hassle getting these things in and out and I'm alway's wondering, "How much fuel do I have left". Does anybody have any advice on how to tell how much fuel is in the tank without removing the tank? Is there a gauge you can buy?

Steve Nagel

John Harrelson

LP Tank - Full?????

Hi Steve,
The cheapest way is to dribble warm water down the side of the tank and watch for the change in the water, it will "bead" up.. thats where the liquid level is.

Also there is a magnetic strip that can be attached to the side of the tanks and it will change colors (red, yellow, green, etc) and show a very accurate level of the propane.. can be purchased at places like Wal-Mart for about $3.00

Then there is the gage that goes between the tank valve and the hose. This will show the "Pressure" of the amount of propane left in the tank.

But unless you are familiar with volume, temperatures, expansion values and evaporation rates of propane, I don't recommend the gage..

I personally prefer the magnetic strip.. its very accurate and cheap.

John

Kirk

LP Tank - Full?????

Agree with John. Since your tank is inside, I would get one of the magnetic strips with the color change. The indicators for motorhome tanks use a float inside the tank but to my knowledge there is no removable tank that has one.

nagel

LP Tank - Full?????

Thanks guys for the input. I'll swing by Wal-Mart and check out the magnetic strips.

Side Note: This forum is great. I've learned alot just by reading through all the postings.

Steve

nagel

LP Tank - Full?????

Okay, stupid question. I went to Wal-Mart expecting to find the magnetic stip indicators in the aisle where they sell the LP tanks & Grill Accessory's. Nope, not in the automotive "RV" area neither. Any help where they be located in the store? Maybe our "Wally World" just doesn't carry this type of thing.

Steve

John Harrelson

LP Tank - Full?????

Hi Steve,

It possible that your Wal-Mart does not carry them,, but more likely they didn't have any in stock because of the time of year.
Its still a little early in some place for the RV crowd to trigger the summer items in a certain store location.

If you don't mind paying a little more, try the local RV Places. They likely would have it year round..

good luck,
John

nagel

LP Tank - Full?????

Thanks John, I thought I'd shop around, just didn't know if I was overlooking them or if they were located somewhere else in the store. Thanks again.

Steve

the_vfox

LP Tank - Full?????

Try Camping world site. They are a little more, but always in stock. Walmart is a hit or miss thing.

:laugh:

sp

LP Tank - Full?????

John,

Those are great ideas! I'm tired of waiting to see the little red indicator flip red and then have to switch tanks and refire everything. Will the mag strips work for an exposed tank as well or will they get beat up by ther weather?

Thanks,
sp

Kirk

LP Tank - Full?????

The magnetic LP level indicators will work very well on any LP tank. They work best if not in direct sun because they sense a temperature difference. I used one on my tanks that we on the tongue of our pop-up and later a bumper pull for many years. They will also work on other gas containers too.

svo

LP Tank - Full?????

SP,
I read your post: (Those are great ideas! I'm tired of waiting to see the little red indicator flip red and then have to switch tanks and refire everything.)

The regulator I have in my 5'er, an American Star, has the little Silver/Orange band thingy. The way mine is used though is that both tanks are full, and both valves are open. The tank the arrow on the regulator points to is "in use". When it runs out, the regulator automatically switches to the other tank, and the indicator turns orange. NO LOSS IN PROPANE. In fact the only way I notice the tank is empty is when I look and see the orange band. I shut off the tank that the arrow points to, and rotate the arrow to the other tank. Now it becomes the "in use" tank, and the indicator turns silver again. I refill my empty tank, reconnect, open the valve and check for leaks. At this point, both tank valves are again open, and I am using the second tank, waiting for the orange band to tell me that it's empty.