mail delivery

nutsy

I have a question for those of you full timers. Where do you receive your mail? Do you use a PO box and have someone forward it to you? Don't you have to have an address for some things?

C Nash

Re: mail delivery

Welcome to the forum Annette. Some use Escapees or Good Sam. There are several others that you can do a goggle on and others here will give more. When we are on the road we do most ours online and just let the kids go through the rest as most is junk anyway. Most everything can be handled on the computer now days

Kirk

We believe that the best possible answer to that is to join the Escapees RV Club, www.excapees.com

Escapees is the only complete support system for the full-time and extended travel RVer. They have mail service which supplies an actual street address, and not just a postal box, which is needed for some things that you may do.

Each of us must maintain a legal domicile in some state in order to do things like vote, collect social security, register & insure vehicles and many other things. The three states that are most popular are Texas, Florida and South Dakota. The primary reasons are that none of these states have any state income tax, no requirement of a physical time spent in state to be a legal resident and they all have reasonable rates for insurance and vehicle registration. There are many factors involved in choosing a state for residence, but everyone must have one.

Another possible way would be to use the home of a friend or relative as your legal domicile. To have a driving license and vehicles which are registered and insured, you must have something.

raskal

Americas Mailbox does also supply an actual street address with a number appended like an apartment number forwarding (with trackng numbers) your mail and packages daily if you wish to whereever you tell them. They also register and renew your vehicles and RV and facilitate such things as your absentee voting and they are a bit less expensive than Escapee.com.

SnowbirdInFlight

Kirk - 8/16/2009 12:42 PM Each of us must maintain a legal domicile in some state in order to do things like vote, collect social security, register & insure vehicles and many other things. The three states that are most popular are Texas, Florida and South Dakota. The primary reasons are that none of these states have any state income tax, no requirement of a physical time spent in state to be a legal resident and they all have reasonable rates for insurance and vehicle registration.

Okay, question. Born and raised in Illinois. How do I become a legal resident of Florida? Do I have to buy a residence there?

DL Rupper

We use Home Base (Good Sam ) in Pensacola Florida. They can tell you how to get your mail forwarded, get a Florida drivers license and vehicle registration. They have worked out GREAT for us for 14 years. Even though we now have a SUMMER CONDO in Ohio, we still use them for our Fall/Winter/Spring mail forwarding service. :)

Good Sam Mail Service: P.O. Box 2428, Pensacola, FL 32513. 877-522-0092 or www.goodsammail.com.

onthecoach

Dear Husband and I have been using Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls, SD for the last 3 years. All the reasons listed above apply. We have been very happy and satisfied with their service. The people are very friendly and customer oriented!

Kirk

Snowbird,

It depends upon what state you choose to use as your domicile exactly what must be done. The reason that Florida, Texas and South Dakota are the most popular states for domicile is the fact that none of them have either a state income tax or any time that you are required to be physically present in that state to qualify as residing there. All three of them do accept a "private mail service" as a legal address for things like driver's license and insurance. They also all have reasonable costs for things like vehicle registration and insurance.

Which state is actually the best depends upon each person's situation. The two largest services are Escapees in Texas and Good Sam in Florida, but both of those states have numerous other mail services. South Dakota has several, two of which are particularly well known and have good reputations of long standing. If you plan to change to one of those states, it is important to realize that you must move your business affairs to the state chosen, just as though you were moving your physical presence there. In addition, if you are employed the state where you presently reside and work is not going to easily give you up as they probably have laws that require that you be a legal resident, as nearly all states do.

The domicile in some chosen state works very well for those of us who are fulltimers and who do not spend more than a few months in any one state. You do have to use care not to violate the laws of the state where your physical presence is, and a permanent job or home is one of those things. Another factor in the laws is that you must have some intention to return to that state when you stop travel. That is considered to be shown by the fact that one has moved his business interests to that location. Not everyone moves things like banking, but if the previous state is a sticky one about getting their taxes, you could be forced to do so.

woodysoutdoors

How would I find information in regards to Ohio laws.

Quote: The reason that Florida, Texas and South Dakota are the most popular states for domicile is the fact that none of them have either a state income tax or any time that you are required to be physically present in that state to qualify as residing there.

How do I find out what Ohio requires?

woodysoutdoors

After reading more can one use excapees or americas mailbox or etc without residing in those states? I just don't know who I would use in Ohio. Seeing as we will be in Ohio and TX it might be worth looking into making TX our home place. As they have no state income tax and are one of the most friendliest homeschool friendly states. My biggest concern is my business and transfering it to TX. I currenly have a transient vendor license in Ohio. Can anyone suggest a mail service in Ohio? I googled and found nothing. I have to have a permenant address for SSI for my daughter is disabled.