Making Onboard Generator Quieter Outside

Wolfpack Fan

We tailgate a lot during college football season. Before we got our little Yamaha ef2000 (super quiet) we used the onboard Onan Marquis 7000. It provided plenty of power, but since the tailgating activity was going on right around the motor home is was a little loud. On a whim I got an idea to lay a rug under the generator on top of the pavement. It made quite a difference in the sound level. I'm not a sound engineer, but I think the rug absorbed a lot of the sound that would normally radiate off of the hard surfaced pavement. We started doing the same thing camping. The rug we used is heavy rubber backed like the ones a lot of business have changed out regularly by linen companies. A couple of times I added another rug under the mh between the generator and the side where we were partying. I created ripples in the rug and that made even more difference.

H2H1

I will try that next time I have to use our portable one, the MH has a 5500 onan and like the 7700 it is load to me, but not to the wife.

Philip.Saran

If you don't already use a exhaust extension for your on board generator, you might want to look
at that, it routes the exhaust up above the MH and that should also cut down on the noise and it
also gets the exhaust smell away from people.

H2H1

I had the extended exhaust made from a muffler shop and it does do the job. We use it at NASCAR races