Manufacturer reviews?

lonewolf_one

Hi Folks,
Newbie here. I have some of my requirements narrowed down in my search for my first rv, to be used fulltime. At this point I'm leaning towards a 30' +/- class a, diesel pusher. I still have a lot to learn however and am wondering if there are online sources for manufacturer reviews? I'm not looking to start a "brand war" thread, but given the number of manufacturers out there, I'm hoping there is a source that will help me filter through and determine quality of construction, service after the sale, etc. For that matter I'm not even sure where to start in regards to finding out who manufactures a vehicle that fits my initial requirements, other than visiting every manufacturer's site individually. I realize I have to ultimately do my own legwork and make my own decisions, I'm just hoping someone can point me in the proper direction to start. Thanks for any input.

C Nash

Re: Manufacturer reviews?

Welcome to the forum Joe. No need to visit mfg website to see which is best IMO. They will each point out their best points. You can find floorplans and options at the websites that will help you decide on which may suit you best. There are several publications out there that rate them but stay away from magazines that use advertisements. What price range are you planning on? I would look at the CCC on any before buying. Pick out several and look them over good. Not just the pretty stuff but look at the hidden places. If you are not going to the higher lines I would look at Alegro, Monaco. Itasca.

Triple E

Nash is absolutely right about looking behind the hidden places. I once owned a new Coachmen, 2000.
What I would find behind the cabinets were awful. Seemed all they had was 2 inch screw's to put things together. If you had to put your hand behind anything you would come back with a bloody hand. The photo paper is pretty but will start peeling off after some use. I could tell you horror story's about this pretty coach. If I was to buy new or used again I would have a hard time deciding between the Allegro and the Triple E. I bought a used Triple E, it is a 1997. Triple E stills goes out of their way to help me out on any matter I might have. From what I understand Allegro is the same way. I wish you luck on your hunting. Enjoy and have fun once you make your purchase.
Ps: Wecome to the forum and please keep us posted. :cool:

:8ball:

G

yes ,, steve and nash are both right .. u would not believe what u find in the hidden corners of even the most expensive MH's ,, but IMO ,, look into the Tiffin line ,, they are one of the few companies left that will take care of u even after the warrnty is out ,, i know cause i have owned one ,, but i am in no way promoting them ,, there are a a few out there ,, that are still in bussiness ,, that are good ,, but as u said ,,u will have to do u'r home work , but are u looking new or used ?? there are alot of used units out there now ,, that have low miles ,, and maybe some warrnty still left on them ,, due to our present state of the good old USA ,, most fulltimers ,, and some weekenders have had to give up ,, and right now is a buyers market ,, IMO
:approve: :) :)

lonewolf_one

Thanks for the input folks. I'm planning on buying used for sure. In regards to price, I'm somewhat flexible, but am thinking somewhat in the $50,000 or less category. I'm not even sure if that is a reasonable figure for my expectations. It's critical to me that it's a reasonable quality, as I don't want to spend all my time in repairs, given it will be my primary residence. I doubt my pockets are deep enough for the high end line. I think I would do better to spend some time on the road, so I can better determine my needs, prior to spending big money. I'll start with those suggested. Would anyone care to express their opinion in regards to what they consider low, middle and high end manufacturers?

Triple E

lonewolf_one - 5/18/2010 7:28 AM Thanks for the input folks. I'm planning on buying used for sure. In regards to price, I'm somewhat flexible, but am thinking somewhat in the $50,000 or less category. I'm not even sure if that is a reasonable figure for my expectations. It's critical to me that it's a reasonable quality, as I don't want to spend all my time in repairs, given it will be my primary residence. I doubt my pockets are deep enough for the high end line. I think I would do better to spend some time on the road, so I can better determine my needs, prior to spending big money. I'll start with those suggested. Would anyone care to express their opinion in regards to what they consider low, middle and high end manufacturers?

Joe, What part of the countryare you in and how far are you willing to travel tocheck one out?

LEN

At $50000 you are into a good OLDER pusher in good shape. You will need to be a tinkerer even with a new one. Look for one that has a lot of TLC new tires and batteries and maybe so new parts here and there. Don't want to scare you off but just like a house MH's need care and do have a lot of systems. None of which is rocket tech. but takes a bit of learning. I would go with Monaco(or one of there sub brands) Tiffin, Newmar, Bluebird(great older coachs that came very well equipted) Winnie, some others will chime in. Just shop till you drop.

LEN

lonewolf_one

Steve, I'm in CT. At this point in time, I'm only looking locally, as I'm pretty clueless. As my knowledge base expands and I'm more able to pinpoint my wants/needs, I'll be willing to travel much further to shop. I think once I have a clear idea and am ready to take the plunge, I will probably head to FLA to buy, as it seems as though it's a hotbed of rv activity. I did come across this site... http://www.jrconsumer.com/ which has materials that seem might be valuable in assesing options. I have no connection with them and have nothing to gain from their profit. I mention it only as a topic of interest. I have no fear in regards to the maintainance issues. I'm reasonably handy and mechanically inclined, although I do admit to ignorance of the intricacies of the different systems. I do have a few books on hand that explain these and will be reading them. I did take a quick look at some of the first brands mentioned. Still have to check out Newmar and Bluebird. Does anyone know if any of these manufacturers have models to cater specifically to full timers?

Triple E

I believe that all of the upper end motor homes that are mention above cater to full time living/travel.

vanole

Throw Foretravel into the mix also. Some of the most well equipped units on the road.

Pancanbob

RE: Manufacturer reviews?

Hi, lonewolf_one
I’m like you looking, but not too sure what I will need. :) :bleh: :approve:
I went to the RV show in Pleasanton, CA
I would suggest you go to as many RV show as you can, this way you can get a feel for them
I was also looking for a used 30 ft+/- Diesel Pushers, and was told by 4 different salesmen. “They don’t make 30 ft DP any more :angry: :angry: :angry: the front end was too light and bounced too much, and there are some law suites on going about safety, and road stability. :( :( :( :(
They said the minim length for a DP was 34 ft.
I don’t know how much they told me was true. :laugh: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Good luck on you search :) :) :)
Take care
Pancanbob

thudbranch

I found this book helpful to me in a similar search for a used RV;
MOTORHOME COMPARISON GUIDE- by Randall Eaton. It covers 2008-2021 RV years, Class A, B, and C's
Help me make a decision. the Book is available used cheaply.