Matching tire pressure

*scooter*

How critical is it to have exact matching tire pressure on a MH? For example, the front tires differ by a pound or two, and the rear tires.. inside is a pound or two different from the outside tire. IMO even if they started out being exactly the same, wouldn't they change slightly during travel? :question:
Thanks.

C Nash

Re: Matching tire pressure

Scooter, the front two should be equal pressure for proper driving IMO. Both inner and outer rear tires should be the same on both side. Pressure will increase with temp and the inner rear will run hotter so guess the hot pressure could vary. JMO

LEN

For what it's woth I keep mine within a # or 2. Feel that' good enough.
Never seem to have a problem.

LEN

H2H1

Well I just bought new tires for my MH. I told the guy putting them on to put 1 lbs less in the inside rear tire. Now I don't know if that was good or bad, but as Nash said the inner tire runs hotter than the out side tire. :approve:

elkhartjim

I've posted this before. I have 4 air pressure guages and they all read something different. I can't afford the Nascar guages so I get as close as possible. Another point...each time you check the pressure you will actually let some air out.

C Nash

Well I see the semi truckers just going around and hitting theirs with a club. :laugh: :laugh: so guess it 's not real critical. :) Guess the bong tells them the pressure. I know they can tell if ones flat :blackeye:

*scooter*

So, now I have to buy a big stick :laugh: :laugh:
I bought a tpms and I'm trying to get the tires to match, but that is proving to be quite difficult.
Thanks for the input so far..

TexasClodhopper

Does the TPMS actually send tire pressure? The one I've looked at only sends a warning level indication. The first one is at 12.5%, then 25% etc.

Perhaps yours is the kind that mounts inside the tire as opposed to being on the stem?

DL Rupper

The sun directly shinning on one side of the RV will cause the tires on that side to heat up and to read a higher air pressure than on the shady side. I don't think it's possible to keep the tires any closer than + or - 2 lbs difference in any given situation. :eek:
The supporting weight on each tire on single/double/triple axles will also vary front to rear and side to side depending on how the RV is loaded or manufactured. Variances in tire supporting weight after rolling down the road will cause a difference in heat build up and a difference in each tires air pressure. Granted there won't be much difference, but then we are only discussing differences of 1 or 2 lbs air pressure

*scooter*

The system I purchased is by TST. Each tire sensor sends the tire pressure and tire temp. to the monitor. Not exactly sure if its the temp from the wheel near the sensor or from inside the tire. It reads each tire for a few seconds then moves on to another tire. If there is any change in pressure, then sensor sends that info immediately. One problem I had is trying to get the sensorsto fit inside the wheel area. The sensor aren't small, so I had to use some valve extensions. The sensors warn for low and high pressure per tire and axel. I can get the tires to match in tire pressure, but throughout the day it changes by a pound or two like DL said. I haven't had it out on the road yet, but soon!

C Nash

Scooter it will change through out the day with different temps on the tires. You should be able to get the pressure the same when all the tires are the same temp. I use one of the lazzer beam temp guage for tire temp. Think nitrogen remains the same in tires or so I've been told. Guess that would be one advantage if it's so.