Mattress, info help requested....

kvtwa

How does one Know how, what, and where to buy a mattress for an overhead bunk, above the driver compartment. I have a Older RV that I just got this month and there are no mattress. I know I will need to buy on. However, all the advertisements for RV mattresses that I seen have been like on regular metal Frames. Since the overhead compartment slides in and out, what type does one buy? :(

akjimny

Re: Mattress, info help requested....

Karen, your bet would be an RV salvage yard. Just Google RV salvage and it should bring up a list with (hopefully) some in your neighborhood.

The other alternative is to have one made by a local upholstery shop.

Good luck. :) :)

LEN

Would help to know what RV you have and a picture is worth, well.

LEN

kvtwa

SO.. what is being said is the mattress is a normal mattress, to ignore the frame slide change. The mattress I need is for the sliding bed compartment over the driver and co-pilot seats. Wooden frame pulls out when going to use and pushes in for driving. Everything I have looked on line at is a normal spring mattress, which I do not think will work (where to store mattress when compartment is pushed in? Unless like C Nash suggested is to have mulitple cushions made.). This is why I was hoping someone who has similar compartment would be able to tell me what type of mattress they have.
No salvage yards and no RV stores close by.

akjimny

Karen, we really need to know make, model and year motor home you have, and maybe some pictures. That would help us help you better. :laugh: :laugh:

The link doesn't appears to work. Are you sure it's the right web address? I've been considering purchasing a memory foam rv mattress topper from this company.

cwishert

Karen, we had a 1978 or so Dodge Open Road conversion van back in the day that had the pull out bed like you are talking about. It had two separate cushions so to speak and when the bed was pushed in they would just stack in the compartment up there. Pull it out and they would lay side by side. I think your best bet is to measure the area pushed in and then see what size mattress that is. It's possible that two twin bunkie mattresses could fit up there. Just a suggestion. Hope you find your answer. :)

jeriteri

RE: Mattress, info help requested....

www.afwonline.com
I just bought a matress for my couch fold out at american furniture warehouse in CO. It is a health type foam matress 5" thick..you might want to try this place and find something,,,maybe you could even cut it to size..