membership campgrounds

dennis1949

Re: membership campgrounds

We belong to Good Sams . It runs 12.00 a year With a 10% discount it does not tale long for it to pay for itself

hertig

Generally, a 'membership campground' is a network of campgrounds. You 'buy' a 'timeshare' which allows you to use your 'home' campgound and other campgrounds in the network on a specified schedule or more often, for specified lengths of time and number of times per time period.

If it has campgrounds situated where you want to be, at the times you want to be there, it can be a good deal. However, you will pay a hefty fee to sign up, and a monthly fee every month until you sell the membership, often at a significant loss. Plus some of them have questionable practices, like signing up people and then dropping most of the campgrounds. Same fee, much less chance to use it...

You can buy the membership of someone who decides it is not worth it usually at a significant discount, but then you have to pay the monthly fee until you sell it.

Good Sams/Passport America/AAA/AARP etc is often a much safer (and cheaper) way to go. These all pay for themselves as opposed to the membership which often does not.

campaddict

RE: membership campgrounds

Thanks Dennis, but not quite the membership I was referring to. The type I was referring to was where you buy a membership at a home resort and then you can travel to other resorts in the group and there affiliates for little to nothing per night. I think Coast to Coast is an affiliate type group. Still looking for anyone who might have info on this type of membership.

campaddict

Thanks John! We must have been posting at the same time. That is more the information I was looking for. We had just started looking into the memberships and seems so confusing with all the different fees and affiliate groups and so on. We like to camp as often as possible and usually are out every other weekend so if there are time limitations on when we could use the resort that would not be for us!

hertig

Read the fine print, and see when you can use the guest campgrounds and where they are, and when you can (or even must) use your 'home' campground. Then compare ALL the costs and compare that with the costs for staying in non-member campgrounds, keeping in mind that you can usually swing a 10 to 50% discount at the non-member campgrounds.

I think the limitations for Coast to Coast are how long you can stay at guest campgrounds, and how much you must use the home campground in order to use the guest campgrounds.