METAL ROOF ON RV

ARCHER

There is a metal (alum, I think) on my Class A, 1989 Winn, Chieftain and I was wandering if there is anything special that needs to be done to it for weatherproofing? The seals around the sides that meet the metal roof are flush and seem to be sealed real good. I've not had any real leaks but I did have a major leak on the way home from Florida in the spring, but I think it was beause the MH was not real level when I spent a night in a campground and it rained like cats/dogs and water was running in the bedroom cabinet over one of the beds. Stopped after the rain ended and has not leaked since or while I was in Florida over the winter. I think the water may have come in the vent (the long vent with a rectangular raised cover)on the top. I do have another leak on one of the windows but it is because the weatherstripping needs replaced (getting ready to put new on).
Any suggestions or ideas as to the metal roof or the leak on the way home from Florida?
thanks
:) :laugh:

C Nash

METAL ROOF ON RV

Hi Archer,
Just got through sealing a metal roof where the front and rear seams were. I also sealed around all vents, antenna, sky light. I used a sealer that can in a gallon can and went on with a paint brush. Can't remember the name of the product :dead: (brain dead) but will look and see. Worked real well. :)

ARCHER

METAL ROOF ON RV

Chelse,
Thanks for the info. If you find the name, please send to me. Any idea why I leaked so bad in the upper cabinet when it rained really hard on trip home from Florida (only time it ever did that)? Has not leaked like that again, but I'm level right now and was level in site in Florida. Could the water have come in the big vent on roof because it was not level and just too much water? :)

Butch

METAL ROOF ON RV

Archer, Your roof top Air Conditioner is a prime candidate for leaks. The thick foam like seal is the culprit. Most folks do not check them for security. I check mine for tightness usually once a year. They do work loose. If yours are loose, just snug them up, don't over tighten... good luck...

C Nash

METAL ROOF ON RV

Archer,
The name is Plas-T-Cote. It is a white alkyd fibered roof coating made for metal roofs. It will not work on rubber roofs. I buy in the gallon but, I think it can be purchased by the quart. I put it on the seems with the cheapest paint brush I can find because throwing away is easier than trying to clean (lazy I guess). Use a brush about the width of the seam. As Butch said, ck the ac seal. It will have to be tighten or replaced. Do not use sealer on it.

sp

METAL ROOF ON RV

Archer,

I've used the Plas T Cote also on my older TT. It is hard to tell where the water is actually coming in from. You can narrow it down by checking the A/C, like Butch said, and the vents. Take down the trim and look for discolored framing or feel around the ceiling to see if the laminate is seperating or bubbly. You may want to coat all of the seams, edges and around all the obstacles.

Good Luck!
sp

ARCHER

METAL ROOF ON RV

Chelse,
Been trying to find the Plast-T-Cote. Can't find it.... :dead:
Do they only sell it at RV shops? Checked at the Lowe's, Menards, etc., home stores...but no luck....
Help....please.... :) :(

C Nash

METAL ROOF ON RV

Archer,
I picked mine up at the rv store :) . Friend has a local salvage/parts/repair business and it's possible plast-t-cote is an old brand as he has a ware house full of parts bought from dealers going out of business but, I think I have seen it in the camping world catalog. Rv stores will be the only place that sells it :(

C Nash

METAL ROOF ON RV

Woops, sorry for the double post but, my computer was so slow I didn't think it had posted :blush:

Archer,
I picked mine up at the rv store :) . Friend has a local salvage/parts/repair business and it's possible plast-t-cote is an old brand as he has a ware house full of parts bought from dealers going out of business but, I think I have seen it in the camping world catalog. Rv stores will be the only place that sells it :(