Metzendorf travel trailer

JBa747

I just found out my brother has one of these sitting in his back yard,in original condition, down to the cloth upholstery. I am going to find out the date of manfg.(sometime in the 50's, he thinks) but can anyone give me any info as to where to find info about this make. Under the name on the side of the trailer is W. Farmington, Ohio. It seems to be rather rare as I can't find anything about it -at least not thru Google.
Thanks.

Gary B

Hi JBa747, try www.vintage-vacations.com also try their links page lots of information on old TT, campers, MH sheepwagons etc.

Happy trails GB

1994 Bounder 34J
1990 Mazda B2200 / BB

Edited by - Gary B on Sep 11 2002 7:20:22 PM

qazw77777

JBa747,
I can answer some of your questions about Metzendorf travel trailers. They were produced in the 50's and early 60's by Martin Metzendorf of West Farmington, Ohio, approximately 10 miles northwest of Warren, Ohio. Martin (my great-uncle) and his wife had the traliers built with Amish laborers, she pickede out the interior patterns and colors. They delivered most of the trailers themselves until a delivery accident deprived my great-aunt of her arm. They sold the business in the early 60's and the trailer was produced for a few more years under the Metzendorf name, i believe they closed the doors in '63 but I'm not 100% on that. If their is a real interest out there I might be able to piece together some facts from my relatives, but admitedly they'er all a touch fuzzy on events from forty years ago.
Brin Metzendorf

Gary B

Great post Brin, its always good to heard a story like that!!! Welcome to the forum. Thanks. :) :cool: :bleh: :eek: :approve:

wa2yne

I had a Metzendorf in the mid to late 70's in Rochester NY.
I recall it had a bunk over the tongue, making it impractical to tow with a pickup, espcially with a shell and/or rack on the truck.
Not too bad a camper, though it had no fridge or icebox, and no potty or water heater.
I don't recall what year it was, early 60's I think.
Wish I had a couple of pictures of it.

Wayne WA2YNE
www.willow-springs.com

revelation_1_7

Hi everyone. we're new to the forum. i was so surprised to see that we don't own the only Metzendorf in the country. Have no clue as to what year it is but i have pics, if someone is familiar, perhaps we could get an idea. we don't have any paperwork. it is FOR SALE along with a '68 Shasta Starflyte. we have some questions on the Metz maybe someone could answer. thanks, rev. :)

beverlydale

I just recently acquired a Metzendorf travel trailer that is in very good condition even though it has been sitting on my sisters land for 15 years. My mother purchased this little thing and wanted to use it, but never did. So it just sat there until just recently, a friend purchased new wheels and tires and brought it to my home. To the right of the door the name Metsendorf, Farmington,Ohio, and also Atlantic Trailor Sales, Fairport, New York. I am wondering how I can find the age.. and any other helpful interesting iformation. This is kinda fun...

Beverly: I have lot of old flyers and a old price sheet or two on hand..I have also found tires, baby moon hub caps for it and paint for the inside.. The Vin. number is on the toung on the same side as the door is on.. Most of the Vin. numbers are a four didget number and may be hard to find under the paint or rust...The line for the 12 volt light inside should also be out in the front by the hitch...Mine has two lines....One group for the brake, turning and runing lights and another group for the 12 volt line inside the trailer, if you have one, and the other line for the eletric brakes,again if you have eletric brakes..I think most all the modles had eletric brakes...Email me at garydonnaw@yahoo.com with any questions..Gary

dkrukosky

RE: Metzendorf travel trailer

Hi folks. I am a newbie and have just purchased a 1961 metzendorf. The family and I just cannot wait to go camping in it. Having said that I am trying to gather as much info on it as I can. like can I still get parts for it? one thing I really need to know is who makes the axel and brake system?

metzie

revelation_1_7 hello, I own a 73' Metzendorf and I restored it to new condition. I might be able to answer some questions for you. My E-mail address is: ketown@windstream.net Also, You can see my "Metzie" pictures on the site: Vintage_Trailer_Network_New_York.com/ Once there click on photos on the left of the page and scroll down to my folder named: "Metzie". There you will see some of my camper pictures. Bye for now, Kevin

greg755

I have a 1962 cab-over model serial number 0025.

I will be restoring/remodeling this for the next month or two.

Does any body have a 62, if so I would like to get a picture of your refrigerator, mine is missing.
Thanks
Greg

dcseweasy

In regards to the posts about the history of Metzendorf travel trailers. My father and mother Karl and Velma Gerlt purchased the business from the Metzendors in the early sixties. Dad ran the business and Mom ran the office and handmade the curtains. There were a variety of empoyees, including the amish and high school students. In 1966 my mother passed away. Dad continued to run the business and I took over making the curtains for the trailer. They made the 13' and 15' trailers and added an 18' trailer and truck camper. My future husband also worked for my Dad and helped deliver the trailers. After much deliberation Dad decided to sell the business in the early seventies. Production was stopped shortly after the purchase. I still live in West Farmington. The building where they were manufactured still stands, but is no longer a factory.

acushla52

So glad to see someone is still posting on this thread as we just acquired a 1960 something Metz...and we named her Dorothy! :)

I would love to find a nameplate somewhere as hers is sadly missing. We are going to restore her to her original grandeur.

Some day I will drive by the old building just so that I can get a picture of her with the place she was born.

dcseweasy

Lori tried to answer your private note, but was not able. I checked with my step mother. Searched through the parts in the garage and was not able to find any name plates or brochures. There are some vents, small windows, gas stove parts, one gold tone sink, door locks/handle, handle used outside beside the door. The area needs a good cleaning and there may be more. Said she would get her son to look through it all. I don't see her often, but did give it a try for you. Sorry there were no name plates.

browndogohio

I have a Metzendorf trailer from the late '60s and it didn't have a nameplate but the Metzendorf script (in red I think) was actually painted on at the factory.

Bill1087

Have bought a Metzendorf 13 foot camper after a long wait for it to be let go. It has sat for most of the last 15 years. In reference to the posts, the only serial number I am able to find is on the left side of the tong, they seem more like it's part number, no numbers are identifiable on the right side, the side posted as the location to look. I'd like to date it for bragging rights. Am I looking for a stamped number or a fastened on plate? Is the location the frame rail between the tonge and camper? And with it is a manufacture date available?

Also, what were the color options, and delineation locations if two tone colors were typical? Mine has not been altered other than painting and a replacement frig that does not fit the opening. And, the side with the door has a mount for something, it's on the roof edge with remnants of straps for storing/securing and male snaps for attaching down the camper sides. I'd be pleased to know what this awning (?) looked like.

The hub caps are missing, pictures and/or specifics are also on my "hope someone can help list". Hope to here back with help.

Bill C

Dave nessley

In regards to the posts about the history of Metzendorf travel trailers. My father and mother Karl and Velma Gerlt purchased the business from the Metzendors in the early sixties. Dad ran the business and Mom ran the office and handmade the curtains. There were a variety of empoyees, including the amish and high school students. In 1966 my mother passed away. Dad continued to run the business and I took over making the curtains for the trailer. They made the 13' and 15' trailers and added an 18' trailer and truck camper. My future husband also worked for my Dad and helped deliver the trailers. After much deliberation Dad decided to sell the business in the early seventies. Production was stopped shortly after the purchase. I still live in West Farmington. The building where they were manufactured still stands, but is no longer a factory.

Dave nessley

Hello, I live in Ohio so my 1960 Metzendorf did not travel far. It needs a lot of work but I'm up for the challenge. It has been setting for a number of years and I need new tires. Its a 13' model can you tell me the tire size that came on it. I mounted a 205 75R 15 and could not get it on as it was to wide. Thanks Dave