Mfgrs of Low-Profile 5th Wheels

rylar33

What mfgrs make low-profile 5th wheels? I'm talking about the ones that don't have the front bedroom you can stand up in. On a recent trip to UT, ID, MT, WA and OR, I saw a lot of them around. Don't see any in So. CA. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

hertig

Why would you want one? The part of a 5th wheel which is over the truck bed is usually over 6' long. If you can't at least sit in there, that is 6' of your trailer which is mostly wasted (perhaps some storage). Are you sure what you saw were 5th wheels? The only thing I've seen like that are gooseneck trailers, with that area for tires (car haulers) or hay (horse trailers).

If height is a concern, perhaps a travel trailer would be more useful. They even have 'hi-lo' trailers, which collapse downward.

tjrskhogan

wildcat, cougar, crossroads, durango these are just a few that i know off hand -- we have a wildcat

C Nash

Think most of those are mid profile rvs but that may be what rylar33 is talking about. Think I have seen some older low profile units that you had to crawl into the bed :dead: . Might have been older Prowler or Starcraft.
John would guess he wants one for the easier towing because of wind resistance but I would look into the high low if this was the case.

rylar33

Thanks to all of you! Appreciate all your replies! Had a truck camper for several years. Got to be too small and confined for the longer term camping we were doing, and I didn't want to give up my truck, so bought a 22' Nomad travel trailer. Found I'm not adept at backing it into my driveway or a campground site. (Wife insists she's going to have a heart attack over that!) Have been told a 5th wheel is the way to go--easier to park, etc. People camped next to me at Quartzsite had what they called a "low profile" 5th wheel. Bedroom area at the front was 5 feet high--plenty of room for mobility (more than in my slide-in camper), but not enough to stand up in. Can't remember the brand name. Wife and I have agreed that would be perfect for us. So will check out the brands mentioned in replies, in hopes of finding one.
Thanks again!

C Nash

5 ft would be considered a mid profile unit and those that jtrshogan listed fall into that profile. Most all mfgs make these.

hertig

Backing a 5ver is not trivial either, particularly the shorter ones :) Like most things, it takes practice.