Microquiet 3600 lp stalls after i put door on it

John Kilbride

Re: Microquiet 3600 lp stalls after i put door on it

no not in need ...i bought a industrial size generator to run my 5th wheel for now, its gasoline and is very loud. my preference is my onan , but tomowor is more than fantastic. thank you thank you thank you

G

well glad to be of some help ,, but i will be back in touch tomm for sure ,, with a right or wrong answer to u'r prob ,, but u know it's still puzzling ,, about the door ,, it's new one on me ,, but u never know what u can find new ,, when u'r in this kinda repair bussiness ;) :approve: :approve: :eek: :(

LEN

OK it runs fine door off. Put door on it dies. Put cardboard on it dies. Runs fine under load door off. Is there a possibility of exaust leak into the closed space?
Still think its starving for air. Try cutting a hole in the card board door replacement away from the edge, like 4" in diameter and near the air filter area. Then try again.
Good luck.

LEN

C Nash

Does your have a altitude adjustment on the carb?

John Kilbride

i dont see one....i have looked at the manual and where it would be on the unit and dont see one

C Nash

Mine has the adjustment on the carb but it's the 5500. John, just wondering about running the gen with the cover removed. I know you said you had a fan but I think the cover is designed to make the flow of air come up through the cylinders for cooling so I don't know if the fan helps or not for this. I really don't know just a thought because I know they are not supposed to be run for long with the cover off. These are the typy problems that drive you batty. Keep us posted.

G

i agree nash ,, i didn't have time to call today about it ,, but it does seem funny that it will only run with the cover off ,, it still sounds like an airflow prob to me ,, i wish i could email the set to me ,, that way i could have hands on ,, but since this is not star trek and we don't have a transporter on here ,, i'll just type the best advice i can ,,, ;) :eek: :approve: :approve: :laugh: :laugh:

Kirk

While no mechanic, I did make a living for 40 years trouble shooting and suggest there is a clue somewhere in the facts here. If the door, or covering the door way makes some kind of difference, they what changes with it's closure?

It sounds as though the air flow or pattern of air flow has to play a part. I would try to cover the door with a tarp or something that will allow me to see what the air does when the door is on. If the tarp is ballooning out toward you, that means that the genset is drawing air up into the space as it should but if it sucks in, that means that for some reason it isn't getting cooling air into the box as normal.

Could there be a critter nest in the inlet to the cooling fan that normally blows up into the housing? As I remember, there is an air intake that then blows up and discharges into the containment box of the set, and the hot air is then forced out of the bottom, around the generator and engine? Isn't there a duct where that air is drawn into the set which might be blocked by something?

The fact that it will start and run for even a minute or two leads me to believe that this isn't a problem directly associated with the door, but rather something that can be overcome by leaving the door open. If the air path is blocked, might it be shutting down from over temperature?

C Nash

I would agree with what Ken (GTS) told him in the first post but I was assuming that he then checked where the Gen intake air came in. After rereading I think he misunderstood Ken and thought Ken was talking about the air filter. So I would advise going back to Ken's first suggestion and searching for something obstructing where the air enters the gen.

LEN

Thats zactly why I said cut a hole in the card board and see.
Also have you done anything around the gen that could possibly block the intake air supply like insulation??

The curious need more info

LEN

John Kilbride

the door has 6 4 inch slits in it for air and when i put the cardboard gets held there by the vacum getting created from the cooling fan running, i have cut holes in the cardboard. Although i dont rule out air flow.....with the door on it practicly sucks the pants off me when my leg is next to the 6 slits and i can feel the heavyflow of air coming out of the outtake vent under the unit....the unit seems to get air.....

i read above and maybe there is a exhaust leak....maybe it isnt the QUANTITY but QUALITY of air....it not only needs air but more importantly it needs OXYGEN!!! i will look

Thanks fellas....keept you all posted

ironart

John.....Is this unit mounted in your coach or just sitting on the ground..??? It may be stupid but there are air intake holes that need to be cut in the base of the mount..(See Templet) for the cooling air to enter the unit....If those are not open the unit will over heat and stop... Just a Thought :) :) :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

I am installing a Generac right now in a fifth wheel. The air intake is from the bottom, as Ironart suggested. Door on or off, it runs.