Microwaves and Generator

ChalkMtnMikey

What would cause a microwave oven (1300 Watts) to shut off after only 30 or 40 seconds. We are running a Generac 5000 watt generator and I tried plugging micro directly into generator and also using it inside our travel trailer while the trailer is plugged into the generator. I also brought the microwave to the house and plugged into regular outlet in kitchen and it worked fine. Any ideas? Could the micro have something in it that doesn't want to work on generator power. I don't think the generator has a problem as it runs hubbies big air compressor for nail guns along with battery charger for 12volt drill and also a worm drive saw and chop saw. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

hertig

Microwaves and Generator

My thought is that the generac power is not clean enough for the microwave electronics. Probably noisy and possibly drifting in frequency. This can drive microprocessor controls crazy. All the other things you list are motors, which are pretty indifferent to noisy power.

Gary B

Microwaves and Generator

Hi, I am sure John is right, the generac may be off in power regulation (like only putting out 50 cycles or maybe putting out 70 /80 cylces), electric motors may not like it but they'll run anyway and a charger is a transformer rectifier so won't bother it as much either, but electronics don't like it at all. An easy way to check the cycle freq. is to plug and old electric clock with a sweep second hand directly to the generator and then with a stop watch time the clock for 1 minute, when the second hand has made one minute stop the stop watch, if the freq/cycles are right both will be 1 minute, if the stop watch is less than a minute the generator is putting out to many cycles, if the stop watch is fast then the cycle are low. You can adjust the cycles by adjusting the run RPMs of the gen/engine. Good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:
A big welcome to the forum!