mileage on large diesel pusher

boomerboater

I made another similiar post on this site, then I noticed this subject. My wife and I are considering buying a large 36-40' diesel pusher. A used Beaver is top on my list. Are we crazy to be considering this with fuel prices as they are?!!! We presently own a nice 33' fifth wheel and tow it with a F350 Ford diesel. We average between 9-11+ mpg. What type of mileage might I get with a diesel pusher? I realize that it depends on driving speed, towing or not towing and what type of terrain. I am of course concerned about what the value of the motorhome would do IF prices for fuel keep going up and up. Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

DL Rupper

Re: mileage on large diesel pusher

Hey boomerboater, welcome to the forum. Same answer as on Beginning RVing. :laugh:

beaverjim

hey boomerboater! we own a 02 beaver santiam 40 ft. with a 330 cummins. we bought this coach new and have a lot of chances to check our milage. the lowest i can remember was 8mpg most of the time we run about about 10mpg. while towing a 05 dodge dakota. we are getting ready to buy a new coach and wouldn't consider buying anything else other than diesel pusher ( my own opinion) :) jim

onthecoach

Hi Boomerboater! I had a 95 Pace Arrow - gas engine - for about 12 years. It was fine...because we only used it a few times a year. When we decided to full-time we bought a diesel. If you plan to use the coach A LOT...you need to diesel power, strength and longevity. The mileage changes depending on who's driving (including a tow car)!!!! If Hubby drives (70 - 80 mph) we get about 7.5mpg. When I drive (55-65mph) we get about 10-11mpg!!! When I drove the coach from Madison, WI to Cincinnati last summer, over 2 days, I averaged 11.5mpg!!! No Joke!!!